why did i ignore rss for so long?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OrangeCuse44, Jul 7, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I knew of the convenience of RSS but never used it until yesterday. I downloaded Vienna (free RSS reader) and it works beautifully. I normally check a number of sites many times throughout the day which is time consuming while inevitably missing something. Now im on top of everything i care about and its fantastic. If you havent dabbled in RSS i strongly recommend giving it a try either through Safari or Vienna. Vienna has a number similar to Mail that shows up on your dock of how many new feeds you have not read. The only thing i wish Vienna had was a smaller time increment of auto refreshing (minimum is 30 mins). Otherwise you can just click its refresher icon manually.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Why did you download another programme? What are the advantages over safari?

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You know I thought the same thing after I downloaded Vienna, couldn't believe I put it off for so long.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I used to use RSS religiously, however I found that the selection of articles that made it into the feeds for the sites I regularly visit (bbc news, nyt, cnn) were pretty arbitrary and typically there were more interesting ones available if I just pulled up the page.

If it gets you the news you want, RSS really is sweet though.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I experienced the same epiphany a couple of months ago.

The only thing I wish Vienna offered is the ability to set different schedules for checking different feeds. I know certain blogs are only going to be updated once or twice a week, so there's no need to refresh them every hour like I do my news feeds.

7. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

i like using a program like Vienna because of the convenience of my feeds being sent directly to my desktop just like how Mail works. The purpose of RSS to me at least is so i dont have to use a browser if i dont want to read any articles. With Vienna, i get the feed brief and if i dont want to read the entire article, i dont.

I heard netnewswire is good too, but it costs money right?

8. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I used and liked Vienna, but switched to Google Reader because the portability was more convenient for me.

9. MAW macrumors regular

10. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

NewsFireRSS is pretty sweet (but it is $20).

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Trust me when I tell you that 30 minutes between refreshes is plenty of time. Most sites don't update that quickly, and if your RSS reader updates that often, that's just more time you'll spend in your reader as opposed to doing something else. (Words of wisdom from an RSS addict...)

12. trainwreck macrumors newbie

safari rss question

what is the best way to use rss in safari? I too check many news sites a couple times a day. When I tried RSS in safari I was kind of overwhelmed with all the headlines....
    Thanks

13. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

safari comes pre loaded with so many feeds its insane. my recommendation is start from scratch yourself and download a reader like Vienna or netnewswire. this way you can set it up exactly how you like. its just much easier IMHO.

14. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

RSS is Really Simple Syndication. It is a way to display continuously updated news feeds. Try this: in Safari click at the top of the menu bar where it says "News" and select "View All RSS Articles".

15. evands macrumors member

Vienna supports refresh intervals as short as 5 minutes, at least as of the current pre-release 2.2.x version.

16. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride