Why did icloud force me to get a mac email account?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by wannabelean, Oct 17, 2011.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

I have a gmail account which I use for mail, contacts and calendar. Now that I got the mac email account, how is it different from my gmail account?

Thanks

2. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

Well, it doesn't force you to do anything, you should have logged in with your Apple ID.

Funny enough, I purposely created a me.com email address because I wanted a second email address that was apple branded.

:apple:

It just sucks because I have to make a decision which one I want to use with all my devices (I prefer keeping it consistent with Apple but I've used my gmail for years).

3. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

4. wannabelean thread starter macrumors 6502

I did login with my apple id (its a gmail address) and when I was trying to turn on Mail and Notes syncing/backup to icloud it said I need to have a @mac email account.

5. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Yea go figure to turn on iCloud email you have to an iCloud email....

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

The MobileMe account is only needed for one iCloud service, Mail & Notes and you are not forced to use that service so you choose to sign up for a MobileMe email address so that you could use that service and were not forced.

7. Sakic10 macrumors member

why couldn't it just sync with the account that you use on your device?

You do only need it for notes i believe (which is weird) or if you want the email to be syncing. (i also think is weird)