Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
So, it's been a while without iSight? and still no updates, anyone have a clue as to why it has gone away besides the obvious...We all know that the Macbooks, Macbook Pros and iMac's have it, but what about the G5/Mac Pro and Mac Mini Users???

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i honestly don't think they ever had all that strong of sales, and with them being included in the iMacs and MB/MBPs it doesn't really seem necessary since there are 3rd party alternatives.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
but you would think since the new Mac Pro releases, that they wouldnt get rid of the iSights too soon...do we just assume that apple lost some more engineers off their displays product...

andrewsfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
environmental concerns

I think I read somewhere about 10 months ago that the isight gadget was bad for the environment. Apple is a good company but they consistantly fall short on the environmental end. Perhaps they were being aware and trying to change... or more realistically it didn't sell that well....

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I think I read somewhere about 10 months ago that the isight gadget was bad for the environment. Apple is a good company but they consistantly fall short on the environmental end. Perhaps they were being aware and trying to change... or more realistically it didn't sell that well....

Part of the reason it was discontinued in the EU was a new EU environmental policy that the iSight violated...whether that means they are redesigning it to comply with that law or that they have scrapped it or that they will incorporate it into monitors...only Apple knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.