Why did iSight go away???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegoldenmackid, Apr 21, 2007.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

So, it's been a while without iSight? and still no updates, anyone have a clue as to why it has gone away besides the obvious...We all know that the Macbooks, Macbook Pros and iMac's have it, but what about the G5/Mac Pro and Mac Mini Users???

2. marvinsum macrumors member

I'm guessing the next version of the Cinema Displays will have them built-in.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

The theory is that apple will build cameras into evrything, but yes I think they killed it too soon, they're soooo good looking.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i honestly don't think they ever had all that strong of sales, and with them being included in the iMacs and MB/MBPs it doesn't really seem necessary since there are 3rd party alternatives.

5. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

and they keep slashing the prices on the display

6. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

but you would think since the new Mac Pro releases, that they wouldnt get rid of the iSights too soon...do we just assume that apple lost some more engineers off their displays product...

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Since the release of 10.4.9 all USB webcams work with Macs. No need for an iSight.

8. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

the isight is by far the best looking!

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iSight was FW...nice for me(my FW port get used less then my USB port, and the less things I have to have using USB, the better)

10. andrewsfish macrumors newbie

environmental concerns

I think I read somewhere about 10 months ago that the isight gadget was bad for the environment. Apple is a good company but they consistantly fall short on the environmental end. Perhaps they were being aware and trying to change... or more realistically it didn't sell that well....

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Part of the reason it was discontinued in the EU was a new EU environmental policy that the iSight violated...whether that means they are redesigning it to comply with that law or that they have scrapped it or that they will incorporate it into monitors...only Apple knows.