Why did Lion hose my internet?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nathanjbrown, Jul 21, 2011.

1. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know it sounds unlikely, but - following my upgrade to Lion this evening - it now takes 15 to 30 seconds to load a website like CNN or Engadget. I can load the same pages - on the same Airport Extreme wireless network - with my iPhone in under 5 seconds. My firewall is disabled. And the problem exists within both Safari and Firefox. Thoughts?

From the iPhone...Because it's now the fastest web browsing machine in my house,

Nathan

2. luxus13 macrumors newbie

luxus13

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have a cap on your Internet that you went over while downloading? Sometimes if you download too much your ISP may throttle you. On your iPhone are you connected to your wifi or 3G?

4. nathanjbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll try disabling Bluetooth in the morning.

I'm definitely not exceeding download limits of my ISP. The iPhone is connected via wifi on the same wireless network as the iMac.

Interesting thing I noticed: Let's say I type in www.CNN.com. The title bar (or whatever it's called) of both Firefox and Safari immediately display the TITLE content of the website. But the page struggles to display for up to 30 second. So it's as if the web browsers are struggling to render the page. And sometimes, after 30 seconds or so, the bowser indicates that it's finally finished loading the page and yet some images are only half rendered (Apple's own website, for example, finally loaded but only displayed the top half of the MacBook Air image that displays flawlessly on my iPhone).

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Do a PRAM reset. Restart the computer, hold command + option + P + R and keep them held in as the computer is turning on. Wait until you hear two chimes then release.

This did it for me.