Why did mac abandon Resolution Independence?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Apr 28, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Who is 'mac'? And how do you know that he/she abandoned it?

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Apple hasn't abandoned it. They probably just haven't had time to implement it fully. It is possible to turn it on even in Snow Leopard (google for instructions) but it doesn't work right. Icons don't seem to scale correctly etc.

It will most likely also require some effort from application developers, they need to have large enough icons and most likely have to be using the Cocoa API for it to work. Windows has a similar situation where some programs will look blurry if scaled so Windows just doesn't scale some programs written on older APIs.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some programs are resolution independent. An important one is Preview.app

5. jetix macrumors newbie

Wait a minute...

I am about to get my first macbook pro next week and this quite surprised me - does it basically means that I can't change the resolution of the screen?

Since I have quite rare eye disease, I have 1680x1050 resolution on my 24 inch external screen and that's just all right for me. My 15 inch Windows laptop has the same resolution as the 15 inch low-res macbook pro - and again that's sort of ok for me.

But I want to get the 17 inch macbook pro with antiglare... so will I be able to lower the resolution or not?

I had a Power Mac G4 at work for a long time, but with old screen with low resolution. I worked with Windows for 17 years now and always all my programs were scaled accordingly, when I changed the resolution.

Please let me know, because this can be a deal breaker for me.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You can change the resolution on your screen to anything below the native resolution. For the 17" that is 1920x1200 pixels, you can change it to the steps below that, like 1440x900 (the resolution on the standard 15").

Resolution Independence is a feature that makes objects on the screen 'scalable'. So instead of changing the native resolution of your LCD to something smaller (by smaller I mean a lower resolution, which isn't ideal), you can increase the scale of the ALL the objects on the screen. So if you made it 1.25x scale on the 17" you'd would have the effect of lowering the resolution to 1440x900, but without the blurriness associated with using an LCD not at it's native resolution.

Um...I hope that makes sense.

7. jetix macrumors newbie

Thanks for a quick reply, sammich!

Yep, it makes sense perfectly. I was quite shocked but I didn't realize that the "Resolution Independence" is different feature. As you describe it, it will be really great having such a thing.

Anyway lowering resolutions works and that's all I need. Blurring doesn't really bother me, since I almost can't see it on neither of my external screen s at work, neither on my Windows laptop, which is scaled down as well. So hopefully it will be the same on a new mac:)

Thanks again!

8. shadygrove macrumors regular

Great summary. Thanks.