Why did many people thought Optical image stabilization and optical zoom was impossible for iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Nov 1, 2016.

?

Surprised when both were announced ?

1. YES

7.7%
  2. No....

92.3%
  1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

99 percent thought it was a big joke to have such features. Same with the finger print reader ??

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Thats how forums are. Right now 75% say OLED is dumb blah blah. Same people will praise it this time next year.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

Kind of a silly question. Everything is impossible until it is not. It is impossible for our phones to be holographic bendable wristwatches, until it's not.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

People thought fingerprint readers were bad because until Touch ID, they WERE bad. It sucked ass on the Atrix, and it really wasn't until last year that it was actually any decent on Android either.

When did people think it was a joke to have OIS on iPhones?? The 6+ and 6s+ were praised for having it, and people had been wanting OIS for a while.

5. aKansasKid macrumors regular

Perhaps I misunderstood Apple's iPhone 7+ announcement, but I don't think it has optical zoom. That would be a lens capable of varying focal lengths. Pretty sure the 7+ just has two lenses, each of fixed focal length, one longer than the other.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

This.

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, there is no zoom.

OIS has been in phones for a while.

8. itsray macrumors 6502

there isn't zoom. its 2 lenses with different focal lengths on the plus.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

It all comes down to the amount of space allocated to the camera. OIS is great. It has been around for years and nobody was surprised that it was included on the 7. But OIS also takes up space. This means a smaller sensor, which partially defeats the point of OIS.
    As for zoom, they didn't add a zooming lens, they just added a second fixed zoom camera (that also suffers from a small sensor). I don't expect a true optical zoom iPhone in the near future. The required lens is just too big.
    Personally I wonder if the camera system would have been better with a single camera system taking the space that was allocated to the two cameras on the back of the 7.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

"99 percent"? Based on what?