Why did my iMac 'wake up' last 2 nights

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GilesM, Jan 6, 2010.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Hello

For the last 2 nights I have put my imac to sleep as usual.
    When I return in morning my iMac is awake, and this morning I found an open finder window!?

I looked in the logs and I see what appear to be relevant entries in the log (see attached file) at 07/01/2010 00:44:12.

Has my imac been hacked?
    I have changed the settings so that my password is required to wake the machine.

My system is a hardwired ethernet (so no wireless issues) and my firewall is on.
    Any ideas? Do I need to shut down at night now instead? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

Have you tried giving a good reset to your PRAM yet? Oh and make sure that you have your Wake when the modem detects a ring turned off in system preferences. You could always try and either unplug or turnoff your mouse depending on if it's wired or wireless. And if none of that works just try resetting your SMC.

AND if that doesn't work then it might be an problem with your home/apartments power system might be acting up some. Do you have it plugged directly into an outlet, a UPC or power strip?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Also verify that the following option is deselected:

 -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule -> Start up or wake

4. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello,

well I have not tried any of those options as yet, but will do all the resets this morning.
    As for the mouse, it is wired. (bluetooth is OFF).

The power is supplied via a power strip with surge protection circuitry.

I guess these could be the issue, but am I right in thinking that none of that explains why a finder window was left open on the desktop, which was not open when I put the machine to sleep. This makes me very worried, all the other things surely would not cause a finder window to be opened, any ideas on that?

5. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Reply to Blue Revolution.

I have ensured these options are deselected (they were anyway) and have also deselected "wake on Ethernet network administrator access".

Regards

6. n9n3 macrumors newbie

I've also been having a similar problem, except, mine doesn't just wake up from sleep, it actually powers on by itself. I used to have it set to wake/start up at 6:30AM when I get up every morning, but I've since deactivated that in the energy saver preference pane. Depsite this, if I shut my iMac down whe I go to bed, it will start up between 1:00 and 1:30 AM. If I shut it down during the day, it will inevitably be powered up when I come back. I've been looking for settings in all kinds of applications and I can't figure out why it would still start up automatically.