Why did my OWC Mercury Extreme Pro die?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, May 30, 2012.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

hi, I had a 115 OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 3g I bought in March 2011. It just died today and the Macbook Pro 13" (2010) would only display a gray screen (no logo) until I pulled it out of the Data Doubler drive bay.

I inserted the SSD into an external drive enclosure but the drive activity light when connected to a MAC and a PC would be constant red and the drive would not show up under disk utility or computer management(PC).

Do you know what might have happened to this drive and is common with Sandforce drives as I have heard?

Thanks.

2. jon08 macrumors 65816

I don't know why it happened, but I also have an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro (6G though) and would just like to ask you if you had noticed any slowdowns or so that would indicate that the drive is about to die prior to that, or it happened just out of blue?

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if it doesn't have any non-backed up data on it i would get a return.

my guess is it got mercury poisoning.

4. austinted macrumors newbie

Same exact thing happened to me on Sunday with the same drive (different size). Currently getting it RMA'd. Drive was 6 month old. Thankfully I clone every night.

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I'm getting nervous because my Mecury Extreme Pro 3G is deep in my iMac. I purchase it around the same time as the OP. Good thing for 5 year warranties.

6. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Mine was installed in my iMac through OWC's turnkey program and they have the machine a third time right now because the SSD has failed for a second time in less than two months.

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Slightly off topic, do you know if the turn key program used the OEM Apple data and power cable, and OEM back pressure wall mount? My 2010 27" iMac is installed with these OEM parts and things have been fine. Fingers crossed.

8. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I would hope they did... Not sure though. They have a long FAQ on their site but no mention of how the sausage is made. I wouldn't recommend them at this point though.