Why did my profile get zapped?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MissEss, Jul 31, 2007.

1. MissEss macrumors newbie

Over the weekend my little "house," aka my profile, disappeared from my hard drive, taking all of my docs, emails and user info. Fortunately most of it was backed up (not all, erghhh). But the bigger issue is what the heck happened? Tech repair says it looks as though I created a new profile, which I did not do. Anyone with knowledge/resources/URLs on this issue? Can't find it on a google search. Oh, I have OSX 10.4.9 and an early generation titanium G4 laptop.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. MissEss thread starter macrumors newbie

Profile back up, but docs are gone

When things went awry, I took it to a Tech place. I don't know if they tried to rename it. The guy said it appeared that i had overwritten my old profile over a month ago. He seemed mystified, but offered to restore my data for $350. I figured I could live with my backup docs made a month ago. So, I am more or less up and running, but I don;'t understand WHY it happened. I want to prevent it from happening again.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Login keychain and even uid issues can cause you to lose access to your files. They're still there, you just don't have permission to use the home directory.

5. MissEss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

xlnt info.

:)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No problem. It is in my job description to know all that. :cool: