Why did my week old iPod Touch 4G seem to die?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robinfinity, Jan 31, 2011.

1. robinfinity, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

robinfinity macrumors newbie

I got this thing last Wednesday, and have since then spent a lot of time figuring out what all it does and how it does it and loading 40Gb of music on it, then getting the cover flow pictures all working, learned a bit about the frustrating iTunes, and then went to bed last night.

Today, about an hour ago, I went to turn it on and it appeared dead.

I tried holding the power button on for a while (I haven't turned it off since I got it) and tried holding the home button in for a while, and got nothing but a cold black dead iPod. I tried plugging it into the computer and the iTunes did not turn on. I started up the iTunes manually and it didn't recognize the iPod was there.

I googled the problem and it led me to a thread in this forum (YEA!) and the thread suggested a total reset by holding in both the home button and power button for 6 seconds. I didn't want to do this because I didn't want to lose everything but nothing else seems to have been working, so I did it.

Holding them both in got it to power back up, and luckily, everything is still on it, so I am cautiously optimistic.

So, why?

Why did this thing just kick itself off? The battery is reading about 3/4's on the little picture (I still haven't figured out how you guys are getting a percentage value) so I don't think that is the issue?

Why did I have to hold both buttons in to get it to come alive again?

Is this going to be a regular feature of this device?

Any thoughts from all you iPod Touch gurus out there for a newcomer to the Touch scene?

2. lostless macrumors 6502

Its possible the ipod software just crashed (it happens). The ipod is just a very small computer. Holding the power/home buttons is equivalent to pressing the power button on your computer to shut it down if it has crashed and the rebooting it. Nothing is lost.

3. robinfinity thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I didn't realize this was a microsoft product. How often will this happen? My PC goes more than a week between such events.

Good to know though, thanks for the reply! :)

4. lostless macrumors 6502

Never experienced a full crash, but have had apps freak out on me causing me to reboot many times.

5. elan123 macrumors 6502

Just take it back

6. pepi macrumors member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law :)

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

To answer your question regarding battery percentage, it's in:

Settings/General/Usage

8. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

?????:confused:

9. robinfinity thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmnn, don't have a usage in settings/general/

10. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Ah, just quickly checked on google and it looks like there is no native option to turn on battery percentage on the iPod Touch. Didn't know that, apologies!

There is a way to do it if you jailbreak your iPod though.

11. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I've had my iPT4 since day one and it has crashed one time. My iPT2 had the same rate of crashing in the several years I owned it.

Holding the home and power button simultaneously worked like a charm for me and it hasn't happened since so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's a daily thing or something.

In all fairness though, this is far from a Microsoft product and comparing the two is near blasphemy! :D

Software, even Apple software, is not free from glitches but every Apple product I own has been amazing when it comes to reliability. If you're worried though, exchange it.