iPad Why did the iPad 1 never get iOS 6 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnick, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Johnick macrumors member

Ive always wondered why the iPad 1 never got iOS 6, it had a faster processor then the iPhone 3GS and was slightly more powerful then the 4th Gen iPod touch which had similar specs, both of those got iOS 6.1.3 . Did Apple ever give an official reason why it never got it ?, even a neutered version like the 3GS got.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The iPad also had to push 5x the number of pixels compared to the 3GS, which is most likely why it didn't get it. It was just too slow to handle it.

3. repentix macrumors regular

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 3GS had the same RAM amount.

5. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

iDevices use RAM as VRAM. This coupled with iPad apps usually being more RAM intensive due to more being loaded into memory at one point mean that it only got iOS 5.1.1 .

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 3GS had a tiny, low res display to push.

7. Johnick thread starter macrumors member

True, but didnt the 4th gen iPod Touch have the same resolution screen as the iPhone 4s at 960 x 540 ?, and its processor was under clocked to 800mhz ?.

8. MacTCE macrumors 6502

As stated above I would think the RAM limitation. Even though the 3GS had the same amount with the bigger screen it probably couldn't handle it and didn't give the "experience" Apple wanted.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

My question would be why in the world would you want the ipad 1 to run ios 6?

I think that a majority of apple device owners would be happier if they knew when to stop upgrading ios versions. I stopped upgrading my ipad 3 with ios 6 and I never ever regretted it for a single day. If I would've gone to ios 7 there was going to be issues in performance.

11. Wbutchart macrumors regular

That's it true. I had the 3, went to iOS 7 and the lag was too much. General use fine, but I was writing my dissertation, pages lagged big style, even if jumping out then back into app.

Upgraded to mini 2 at that point.

12. Johnick thread starter macrumors member

Yea, thats the only thing I can think of, but when I look at iOS 6 I dont see it doing anything stressful that couldnt have been done on 5 (a bit like iOS 7 and 8).

13. Mike Delta macrumors 6502

Mike Delta

I know what you mean my iPad 2 is on iOS 8.1 and is almost unusable.

14. Wbutchart macrumors regular

Brutal, my step son has a two, I'll say to him to stick to 7.

15. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

My iPad mini 1 was the same until I did a complete wipe and set it up as a new iPad. I linked it back to my iCloud account and put back apps I wanted. Smooth as silk now, before this it was a nightmare lag fest.

As for my iPad 1, I recently wiped that and also did a set up as new and it is remarkable how quick it is now. Sure, it is stuck on iOS 5.1.1 so looks a bit dated but it still works well as a multimedia tablet and even some light browsing isn't too bad.

No idea why upgrading iOS over and over eventually results in a really slow install but wiping and setting up as a new device has made a great difference.