Why did the iPhone 4 fail....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Azmontana, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Azmontana macrumors regular

Azmontana

.... and the 3GS didn't.

In the keynote, how come the iPhone 4 couldn't get a wifi signal but the 3GS seemed perfectly fine.

Any ideas why?

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Probably connected to different channels/base stations.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I wondered the same thing... maybe they were on different Wi-Fi routers, and the one the iPhone 4 was on was being used excessively by the bloggers? Just a guess...

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Both iPhones were probably connect to their own router and the one used for the iPhone 4 was broadcasting on was 'pushed' off the spectrum because of the large amounts of Mifi's there.

5. fuzion macrumors 6502

Maybe it's one router but the pipe was being consumed by everyone's photo uploads? I was watching engadget, I would say there was a new photo every 30 - 45 seconds, now multiply that by how many other people doing the same thing.. perhaps they saturated the connection. It jumped on the wifi which means the router wasn't overwhelmed [in theory].. I wonder what kind of connection they were on.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Had zero to do w/ the iPhone. As Jobs noted, there were 500+ MiFi basestations in the room. There was simply too much local radio interference. When the MiFis were shutdown Jobs made his demo w/o a hitch. Google had the same problem when it was doing demos at Google i/o.

7. Azmontana thread starter macrumors regular

Azmontana

Yes but that doesn't explain why the 3GS worked!

8. fuzion macrumors 6502

Maybe the 3GS was already on and joined to the wifi before everyone else jumped on?

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If I remember correctly the 3GS was used earlier in the keynote, so it was probably already connected, and on top of that the iPhone 4 was using WiFi-N while the 3GS is limited to WiFi-G. Maybe this had something to do with it?

10. SuperDuper-C macrumors member

They should at least make them turn off Wifi on phones in the future. I'm sure there's a lot of unnecessary connections for people who have push e-mail and what not going.

11. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

There were no mifis back then. Just the places wifi basestations and a couple of evedo cards.

12. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

do mifis work on wireless N or G?

the iphone 4 has wireless N operating at 2.4ghz not at 5ghz

13. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Experts in wireless disagree with you (and Steve)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...es-may-have-been-due-to-iphone-4g-drivers.ars

14. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Because Noah from PhoneDog was using his Evo as a mobile hotspot and running other people's wifi and the iPhone 4 got jealous and refused to work.

Seriously, I was wondering that too....

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

As posted by another member AND notes by Steve, it had nothing to do with the phone but more the network which was overloaded by the people at the meeting.:eek:

I am betting by the next meeting they will have additional bandwidth available!:p

Funny how people want to trash the phone before it is even delivered!:mad:

16. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

You were at the keynote and noted that nobody was usage Mifis? Only a couple of cards? Doubt that.

Or are you misunderstanding what we are saying? I think you might be, since you said "back then". We're not comparing the iPhone 4 at its Keynote to the iPhone 3GS and its own keynote. We're comparing the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 that were used alongside each other at the most recent WWDC.

17. mbell75 macrumors 6502

Again, WHY DID THE 3G WORK THEN?

If the iPhone 4 has the same God awful wifi problems my iPad has, you guys will be in for a real fun time

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Quoted myself.

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As i-John posted in his link, two experts independently came to the conclusion that it was the iPhone 4's wireless drivers that caused the problem. Sounds like it had inappropriate failure mode behavior (couldn't resolve the connection given the congestion).