Why did the pwnage tool ask for my password?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RiGo, Nov 25, 2008.

1. RiGo macrumors member

So I was building the custom ipsw file and the pwnage too asked for my admin password (os x)...

what gives?

2. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

It's just asking for your user password so it has permission to install the program, that's all.

There is nothing untoward about it

3. RiGo thread starter macrumors member

What does it need to install?

It was running and everything. It did it half way through the build of the custom ipsw file...

Seems strange

And how do we know for sure there's nothing untoward?

4. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I know it's nothing untoward because thousands of people have done it, it is standard procedure.

I have set permissions on my account on Mac OS X so when a program wants to access the internet, or mail or wants to install a program it will pop up a little box and ask me for my password.

Unless I give it permission to continue it won't do it.

I used Quickpwn two days ago and it asked me for my password halfway through building the custom ipw , once I put my password in hey presto a jailbroken iphone :)

Honestly it's nothing to worry about, take a look at the videos on youtube of people using Quickpwn on their computer and they all do the same thing. ie" Put their password in halfway through the build.

It's just asking your permission that's all.

And to be honest if the package you downloaded contained a trojan horse or virus it wouldn't need your password to install or run the virus etc, it would do it on opening the file. It is nothing to worry about in the slightest. Trust me on this k .

5. LoMonkey macrumors regular

It asks for your password because it has to to be able to access the permissions it needs to create the ramdisk.

You can trust the Dev Team, but even if you don't, just load up Activity monitor while doing it. You'll see that there are no funny games here.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you're that uncomfortable about giving your password, just do a restore and return to factory settings and it's like it never happened...:eek:

7. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Exactly. If you can't trust the Dev Team to not use you Mac password for malicious uses, how can you trust that the firmware the program builds isn't harmful?

If it were malicious, it would have been noticed by now. :)
    The Dev Team has done nothing but good for the iPhone community IMO.

8. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Agreed 100% the Dev Team have done nothing but work long hours so the iphone community can have more of a choice and they ask nothing in return.

So I would go ahead and just either A: do it B: don't do it or C: sit in front of the password prompt and twiddle your thumbs wondering if you should or shouldn't.

Trust me I would go for A

9. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Sheesh...why the hell are you freaking out about something so vanilla?

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

asking for a user pass on AN IPHONE is not "vanilla".

11. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Yes it is. Applications on your computer ask for your password all the time so they can do their thing. Don't be so paranoid.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except giving an application your password is the only way to allow trojans to install themselves on your computer. He's not being paranoid, he's being safe.

Or perhaps you want people to steal your personal information. Heaven forbid you ever give your password to install anything.

13. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

I agree, just uninstall if it freaks you out so much.

14. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

OOOH NOOOZ they trojans!!

Use common sense. Give the app your password. Nothing will happen. I'll buy you a new computer if anything goes wrong.

Bunch of Chicken Littles 'round herr

15. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I agree, besides there is a difference in being over paranoid and being safe. If you worried about a password prompt everytime you downloaded a program you wouldn't install anything due to fear. Just make sure you have anti virus apps etc

I think for the thousands of us who have jailbroken our iphones can testify, Quickpwn asking for your password is the norm, and like I said before......

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It would ask for your password upon opening the file. Giving it would allow it to install.

17. chopperpl macrumors newbie

What a bunch of idiots... Dev-team's file can be downloaded, tampered with, and distributed throughout the internet. Lots of people get it from unknown sources, and that creates whole bunch of risks. OP is asking right question, and it would be nice if someone with good background knowledge could answer it... Just because thousands of ignorants got it it doesn't mean it's safe... Those files should have at least checksum verification to prevent wild distribution...

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey thanks for bringing up a thread from 2008:rolleyes: