iPhone X Why did they remove display zoom on the X?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
But then reinstall it on the XS? I just got my X and I'm setting it up and there's no option to make the icons bigger. Please tell me there is at least a jailbreak tweak for this.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
The 4.7” and 5.5” iPhones had the same aspect ratio as the previous iPhones with 4” displays. Display Zoom worked as it just took the previous UI and stretched it up to the new displays.

When the X launched it didn’t just have a higher resolution but also much different aspect ratio. There really isn’t a display to to mimic Display Zoom off of.

With the XS Max (and XR), it has the same aspect ratio as as the X/XS so Display Zoom is taking the UI from those phones and blowing it up to the larger screen.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
The 4.7” and 5.5” iPhones had the same aspect ratio as the previous iPhones with 4” displays. Display Zoom worked as it just took the previous UI and stretched it up to the new displays.

When the X launched it didn’t just have a higher resolution but also much different aspect ratio. There really isn’t a display to to mimic Display Zoom off of.

With the XS Max (and XR), it has the same aspect ratio as as the X/XS so Display Zoom is taking the UI from those phones and blowing it up to the larger screen.
I'm sure I'll get use to the smaller icons.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
This was also the case with the x vs the 8 Plus, it appears that feature is only available on the larger screen models. I know the XS Max has it and I was pleasantly surprised.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yea man, only the XS Max has it, just like only the plus model iPhones did..
No, all previous iPhones have it, I use it all the time in my 6S non Plus model. If you used it on a Plus model phone it would then not rotate icons in landscape mode.
It’s one of my requirements for a phone and another reason to get the XR over the X or XS.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No, all previous iPhones have it, I use it all the time in my 6S non Plus model. If you used it on a Plus model phone it would then not rotate icons in landscape mode.
It’s one of my requirements for a phone and another reason to get the XR over the X or XS.
Wait so the XR has it?

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I thought for sure it would be available on the X, since its display was even larger than the 8 Plus' 5.5-inch screen. I missed it on my X so much, I considered going back to my 7 Plus. Very glad Apple retained an exclusive Plus feature with its latest "Plus" model. It'd be nice if Apple added the feature to the XS, and X.

Last edited:

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
The X didn't.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
To your disappointment, the XS Max does not have landscape home screen.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
X didn’t what?

I know, hence why my comment refersed to the Plus and not the Max.
But I believe instead the Max and XR will have that split screen feature they briefly showed off, at some point after an update I guess?
I really wish that they do it. Will be handy in some situations. But in order for split screen to work, first the device should be in landscape mode, where it will be very short in iPhone X-type devices, the split screen apps will be like a miniature portrait app, which will be very small. Think about a calculator app in that mode. Will the button be large enough as a touch target? Not sure if Apple wants to do that.

jdsmitty10

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
I was annoyed at first by this but now when i pick up my old 7 with the display zoom it almost looks too zoomed or cartoonish looking...If that makes any sense lol..

Reactions: haruhiko

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I really wish that they do it. Will be handy in some situations. But in order for split screen to work, first the device should be in landscape mode, where it will be very short in iPhone X-type devices, the split screen apps will be like a miniature portrait app, which will be very small. Think about a calculator app in that mode. Will the button be large enough as a touch target? Not sure if Apple wants to do that.
I agree but I’m sure they showed something like that at the keynote?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's in the XR technical specs:
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new iPhone XR. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can fully enjoy the world’s most personal device. Learn more

Features include:

• VoiceOver
  • Zoom
  • Magnifier
  • RTT and TTY support
  • Siri and Dictation
  • Type to Siri
  • Switch Control
  • Closed Captions
That seems like more typical zoom that is part of accessibility settings on basically all iOS devices (as opposed to zoomed display).

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
That seems like more typical zoom that is part of accessibility settings on basically all iOS devices (as opposed to zoomed display).
Thanks for the correction.

FWIW, 9to5Mac conjectures that the XR will have zoomed display for the same reasons given above:
iPhone XS Max has a larger 6.5-inch display and the same aspect ratio of iPhone X, however, so apps designed for iPhone X and iPhone XS can run scaled up in Display Zoom on iPhone XS Max.

This likely means we’ll see Display Zoom featured on iPhone XR as well. It features a larger 6.1-inch display with the same aspect ratio as iPhone X (and the same practical resolution as iPhone XS Max, only 2x instead of 3x).

The effect Display Zoom has visually is less dramatic on iPhone XS Max (and likely iPhone XR) however, as the jump from 4-inch screens to 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens is more dramatic than 5.8-inch screens to 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the correction.

FWIW, 9to5Mac conjectures that the XR will have zoomed display for the same reasons given above:
iPhone XS Max has a larger 6.5-inch display and the same aspect ratio of iPhone X, however, so apps designed for iPhone X and iPhone XS can run scaled up in Display Zoom on iPhone XS Max.

This likely means we’ll see Display Zoom featured on iPhone XR as well. It features a larger 6.1-inch display with the same aspect ratio as iPhone X (and the same practical resolution as iPhone XS Max, only 2x instead of 3x).

The effect Display Zoom has visually is less dramatic on iPhone XS Max (and likely iPhone XR) however, as the jump from 4-inch screens to 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens is more dramatic than 5.8-inch screens to 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch.

Right, so far it seems to be a conjecture.

Captain Bones

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
From what I’ve heard, still needs to be confirmed but so far the signs are good :)
[doublepost=1566566845][/doublepost]I have both a new Xr and Xs. Both running 12.4 The Xr has the Display Zoom option, the Xs does not. Doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it even more useful on the smaller screen. Why take it away, the software is already on the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.