iPhone X Why did they remove display zoom on the X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

But then reinstall it on the XS? I just got my X and I'm setting it up and there's no option to make the icons bigger. Please tell me there is at least a jailbreak tweak for this.

2. masciam macrumors member

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah why would they do that? And then re-release it on the XS.

4. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

XS doesn’t have it either.

5. Scott G. macrumors regular

Yea man, only the XS Max has it, just like only the plus model iPhones did..

6. profets macrumors 601

The 4.7” and 5.5” iPhones had the same aspect ratio as the previous iPhones with 4” displays. Display Zoom worked as it just took the previous UI and stretched it up to the new displays.

When the X launched it didn’t just have a higher resolution but also much different aspect ratio. There really isn’t a display to to mimic Display Zoom off of.

With the XS Max (and XR), it has the same aspect ratio as as the X/XS so Display Zoom is taking the UI from those phones and blowing it up to the larger screen.

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm sure I'll get use to the smaller icons.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This was also the case with the x vs the 8 Plus, it appears that feature is only available on the larger screen models. I know the XS Max has it and I was pleasantly surprised.

9. apolloa macrumors G4

No, all previous iPhones have it, I use it all the time in my 6S non Plus model. If you used it on a Plus model phone it would then not rotate icons in landscape mode.
    It’s one of my requirements for a phone and another reason to get the XR over the X or XS.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wait so the XR has it?

11. Jimmie Geddes, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

Jimmie Geddes macrumors 6502

I thought for sure it would be available on the X, since its display was even larger than the 8 Plus' 5.5-inch screen. I missed it on my X so much, I considered going back to my 7 Plus. Very glad Apple retained an exclusive Plus feature with its latest "Plus" model. It'd be nice if Apple added the feature to the XS, and X.

12. apolloa macrumors G4

From what I’ve heard, still needs to be confirmed but so far the signs are good :)

13. Scott G. macrumors regular

The X didn't.

14. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

To your disappointment, the XS Max does not have landscape home screen.

15. apolloa macrumors G4

X didn’t what?

I know, hence why my comment refersed to the Plus and not the Max.
    But I believe instead the Max and XR will have that split screen feature they briefly showed off, at some point after an update I guess?

16. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I really wish that they do it. Will be handy in some situations. But in order for split screen to work, first the device should be in landscape mode, where it will be very short in iPhone X-type devices, the split screen apps will be like a miniature portrait app, which will be very small. Think about a calculator app in that mode. Will the button be large enough as a touch target? Not sure if Apple wants to do that.

17. jdsmitty10 macrumors regular

I was annoyed at first by this but now when i pick up my old 7 with the display zoom it almost looks too zoomed or cartoonish looking...If that makes any sense lol..

18. apolloa macrumors G4

I agree but I’m sure they showed something like that at the keynote?

19. Broadus, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

Broadus macrumors 6502a

20. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That seems like more typical zoom that is part of accessibility settings on basically all iOS devices (as opposed to zoomed display).

21. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the correction.

FWIW, 9to5Mac conjectures that the XR will have zoomed display for the same reasons given above:
    iPhone XS Max has a larger 6.5-inch display and the same aspect ratio of iPhone X, however, so apps designed for iPhone X and iPhone XS can run scaled up in Display Zoom on iPhone XS Max.

This likely means we’ll see Display Zoom featured on iPhone XR as well. It features a larger 6.1-inch display with the same aspect ratio as iPhone X (and the same practical resolution as iPhone XS Max, only 2x instead of 3x).

The effect Display Zoom has visually is less dramatic on iPhone XS Max (and likely iPhone XR) however, as the jump from 4-inch screens to 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens is more dramatic than 5.8-inch screens to 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Right, so far it seems to be a conjecture.