Why did they run out of ipods??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by girlie, Sep 13, 2010.

1. girlie macrumors newbie

i really wanted a 32gb ipod touch but when i went to my local apple store yesterday (sept. 12) they were out of stock...i went to costco and they didnt have any ipods, not even the old ones. i was really disappointed...i really want one......why are they making so few of them that they run out? what's the best time to go there if they get shipments everyday (as they told me)? does anyone know what time the shipments come in?

2. Kamakzie macrumors member

It's still a really new product. The iPads are just finally having stock now.

3. fashi0nless macrumors newbie

just call your apple store to see if they have some in stock before you make a trip there.

4. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was in an Apple store Saturday in the Denver area. I overheard an employee tell someone that they were out of the 32GB but that the 64GB and 8GB were in stock.

It is a popular new product that many people want. Call around or order online.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, it's just a matter of supply and demand. They are making the iPods at the same rate (or greater) than they were the old ones, but people are just buying them faster because they are a new attractive product

7. applealex macrumors regular

I still remember when I bought a 32GB iPod touch 3G just 3 days after launch and my local Apple store had plenty in stock

Although this one is way better so, of course, has more demand

I opted to not risk them running out and just pre-ordered. mine should arrive this Wednesday

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Because it makes the product look more insanely popular

"ZOMG YOU CANT *GET* THESE! EVEN IF YOU WANT ONE! PEOPLE ARE LINING UP AND WAITING WEEKS!!!"

9. girlie thread starter macrumors newbie

i wanted to order it but they wouldnt let me order it in the store and i dont feel safe using my debit card on the internet....

yeahhh thats what my parents said, they said if they dont make too many it makes it sell better, honestly it does make me want it more but at the same time im pissed at the apple store for doing that so i might just save my 300 smackaroos and put it in my car fund.....such a hard decision!!

10. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I walked in on launch morning an hour after the local apple store opened and bought the first new Touch. So...yeah, I guess they did well this past weekend.

11. applealex macrumors regular

According to Apple, they don't make limited supplies of products just to draw up hype (they were accused of doing so with the iPad) I believe it was Tim Cook who made it very clear that they're making them as fast as they can and they're selling every single one they make. the demand will always be huge in the first few weeks.

12. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I don't think apple holds back the supply of products just to increase demand. Besides I wouldn't even call the iPod a hot product, the reason being is because most people already have one (I am obviously the exception, but I will have one when I get my 4th Gen touch). Its just simply a new generation of a product that already exists. A new product like a toy or a video game system that did not previously exist, now that is a hot product.

Video game companies do make limited supplies of consoles in order to boost demand especially at launch, I see lots of stories about lines forming in stores for video game consoles, but the new iPods have not gotten any news coverage yet (despite several stories on the halo launch yesterday).

If iPods are out, I would expect them to come back in stock in a week or 2 or perhaps sooner, they aren't going to be out for months like with certain game consoles.

Retailers on the other hand, they might hold back the iPods for launch on a certain day in order to drive more traffic to their stores, but that is purely the doing of the retailer, not apple. This is a dirty tactic to increase sales and I try not to support retailers that are clearly guilty of holding a product until a certain day.

13. battlekid macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for the local Best Buy to get their FIRST shipment.

14. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I went to the Christiana Delaware store on Friday and they were totally sold out on the 32gb models. I should have called first, but figured they'd have enough stock. I didn't make that mistake the next time as I called the Suburban Square Ardmore PA store. They had plenty and I have my shiny new toy... Woo Hoo!

jedisaga

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I was just in my local Best Buy returning an iPod case, and some lady online was asking for a 32GB iPod touch. The dude called someone to get one, then he got off the phone and said. "We don't have the new ones, but we have the older model 32GB, is that fine?". And she said "that's fine". I can't imagine how that would be fine to anyone. In any case, BB is sold out of the 32GB too
    (But apparently they are still trying to sell out the old stock, hope she at least got a discount). I'm now glad I pre-ordered and got it a day after release day.

16. Sphynx macrumors newbie

The Apple Store in Albany NY, is also out of 32gig IPT4's. And its the only one within a 25 mile radius. The NYC store is also out of 32gig IPT4's. Drove down there earlier today (Waste of 3 hours driving), quite rediculous IMO. I had one reserved for me at the NYC store, as I called a week before the new iPod was released. Then I get their and they sold my reserved device. Seriously **** you "Wendle". (Name of Apple employee who "reserved" my copy) I will find you and bring mental harm to you you bastard!!

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The 32gb version is simply the most popular version, and Apple failed to anticipate that well enough to meet your demand. The university Apple store I walk by each day was told they would have the new iPods last week, but their order was re-routed to supply a true Apple store in a nearby city (according to what I was told). They have plenty of the old models in stock and on display. My theory is that they have the new ones in back and are waiting to reduce the current stock before putting the new ones out.

18. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

There are 4 NYC Apple stores...

19. Sphynx macrumors newbie

i meant the new one that just opened up, what was it, earlier this year?

20. Panther71 macrumors regular

I have called my local BB, and they have had 8gb models in stock, but nothing bigger yet. I am getting anxious to get a hold of one.

21. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I sold my iPhone 3GS. I went to the Apple Store to get my new iPod touch 32GB 4th Gen. They didn't have any either. :( So I ordered online.

:apple:

22. ct95 macrumors regular

As far as Costcos, you might try a different warehouse. I went to one Costco in Oregon on release day (Sept 8), and they said maybe next week. A Costco 5 miles away had it in stock, however.