Why did Time Machine change it's looks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Virgil-TB2, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Quirky question perhaps...

I set up Time Machine for the first time yesterday and while it was amazing and so on, I noticed something kind of disappointing that seems to have no rationale at all behind it.

The picture used in all the demos of Time Machine and on Apple's website right up to launch day was this:

[​IMG]

I don't have a screenshot of the new one, but when I used it, the whirly nebula (the "light at the end of the tunnel" sort of speak), is gone! :eek: All I have is plain old black space peppered with a few stars.

Is this because the graphics card on my old G4 doesn't support "galaxies" or what? :confused:

If this isn't a hardware specific glitch, the only reason I can think of is religious or other "hyper-sensitive" types might be offended or made nervous by the whole "I'm dying and going back to God" theme being used.

Anyone else seeing or not seeing the nebula?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

That would be pretty funny. :p

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I see the nebula on both my Leopard installs.

5. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Hmm...

This has to be an "I have a crappy old graphics card" issue then. :(

Interesting, in that I assumed it was just a picture but if the nebula can be left out then it must be more complicated than that.

6. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I've had this problem a few times. It seems that the galaxy (Yes, it's a galaxy..) sometimes doesn't appear when Time Machine "slides up" from the top of the screen. It seems to me that the background of time machine is really three things. First it's the picture of the galaxy, then the moving starfield and the black background. It's a glitch that they need to fix. I popped up Time Machine about 25 times and at least four times it didn't appear.