Why Did You Buy an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Aug 12, 2016.

?

What was your very first iPhone?

1. The Original

22 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. iPhone 3G

30 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. iPhone 4

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. iPhone 4(S)

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. iPhone 5

8 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. iPhone 5(S)

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. iPhone C

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. iPhone 6(S)/iPhone 6(S) Plus

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. iPhone SE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. willmtaylor, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

After marking the poll, I'd like to hear WHY everyone pulled the trigger on their very first iPhone. Was it the novelty/cool factor? Practical needs? The previous love of Apple gear? Or are you just a tech addict who has self-control issues? Maybe it's some combination of the above.

--- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---

For me, I purchased my first iPhone--the iPhone 5--when I finally had some disposable income and could justify the higher price of a smartphone for the benefits of personal and professional organization (reminders, appointments, GPS, contact information, shopping lists, etc.)

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

First iPhone I got was the 4S, dam back in the time, that thing was the bomb. One of the most elegant and expensive phone at the time, I bought it because one of my friend got it and that thing just look classic.

I still believe it's the best iPhone yet, at least the best S model that was introduced by Apple. Then later I got the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 is the current phone I use. The feel is different than the first iPhone, was hoping for some major change for the 7 but watever...

3. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lost my flip phone (I think it was around Oct or Nov 2007) and wanted to upgrade to something that can handle browsing normal webpages instead of WAP. Blackberry, Palm, etc, were all priced within $100 of the iPhone and the web browsing experience on those was poor so I opted for the iPhone (16GB). I've never personally owned an Apple product prior to my iPhone purchase.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I was huge Treo user, but they started heading downhill. Then I was a WinMo user...and that was an ok experience.

When the original iPhone came out, I refused to buy it. It was missing too many huge functions such as ActiveSync support and 3G data. The iPhone 3G answered all my excuses. It was clearly a superior experience to WinMo at the time....so I caved and bought one. I've had every model up to the 6 since then. Got married, so had to slow down my smartphone acquisition pace. ;)

My name is Geckotek, and I'm a tech addict.

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

(with monotonous tone) "Hi @Geckotek ."

6. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502a

Phil in ocala

Why did you wear shoes yesterday....???
    Why did you buy gasoline for your car?
    Why did you cut your toe nails?
    All on mac rumors demand to know.

7. gurase macrumors regular

My first smartphones were a Blackberry followed by a Droid Pro. When it came time to upgrade my 2nd gen iPod touch, I decided the physical keyboard was no longer a requirement for me, and I wanted one device for a phone and music. So I got the iPhone 4S and never looked back :)

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I purchased it because it was what I had wanted for a long time. Since before the iPhone. I had been actively looking at smartphones and pda's since the early 2000's and they were trash.

I also had an iPod touch first so it was a natural transition.

9. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Bought the original on day 1... waited in line. Never really cared for a smart phone until the first time I seen the commercial of the 1st iPhone. I remember my wife and I both said, "I want that phone" after seeing the commercial... LOL

10. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

My first iPhone was the iPhone 6. I'd had a couple of Apple products before that point, quite a few Android phones, a couple of other smartphones, and was just curious how an iPhone would be to use; as I was thoroughly impressed with my iPad mini 2. Well, I wasn't impressed by the price and features of the 6 so I returned it to wait for the 6s. I picked up a 6+ on T-Mobile just before the 6s came out so I could test the size and use the upgrade promotion. Preordered the 6s on launch night and have enjoyed the experience this far. I still like Android, and am a big Nexus fan. So, you could count the 6s as my first iPhone, since I kept it longer than a couple weeks; but I voted 6 anyway. I look forward to revisiting Android one day, alongside my iPhone of course!

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

You're missing the 3GS in your poll, so I can't vote.

I started out with iPhones because the 3GS happened to be the phone that was free on contract with my carrier when it was time for me to renew. I wasn't very picky about tech back then. I had also owned a couple of iPods so I was accustomed to managing my music through iTunes. Since then I've stuck with iPhones mainly out of familiarity, and because they really do work well and excell at the things I use my phone for.

12. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I been android since get go almost.

but been having issues with my S7 edge on EE.

EE blame Samsung and vice versa.
    So I have a really annoying and expensive phone which has problems.

So I got the Iphone 6s plus have recently bought a macbook and imac seemed a good option.
    Some things I dont like but on whole I like it and if I ever get the S7 back from EE I will sell it.
    Great specs but if it not working right what's the point!

I did says few years back I would never have an iphone......
    ooops here I am with a 6s plus.

13. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oops. Almost caught them all. Probably should've checked Wikipedia first. Oh well, ran out of poll options anyway.

14. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

The 7th and 9th generation. JMHO. The 9th generation is, by far, more awesome! :)

15. davidgolfer macrumors regular

Original Iphone. I had a Samsung windows phone, can't remember the name of the phone. It was black with a keyboard on bottom. Anyway, the phone was my first real internet capable phone, with web browser. The phone really sucked, it was almost unusable. Couldn't believe how bad the phone was. I took it back after several weeks. A few months later iphone was announced, basically it looked like they had corrected all of my complaints about the Samsung phone, plus gave me touch screen. Bonus was the web browser worked and I didn't have to restart the phone 2-3 times a day.

16. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

This may sound like marketing-blabla, but for me it was the scrolling and the "magic" of an interface, that seemed to respond perfectly to my fingerinputs. It's kinda hart to descripe, but I hope you know what I mean! :)

17. RedOrchestra, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

Started out with a 2nd generation iPod Touch; got caught up in the Apple Apps ecosystem and purchased an iPhone 4, then a 6.

I'm not unhappy with the iPhone but the problem for me is that I'm now so F---ing deep into the ecosystem that I can't easily extricate myself from THAT ecosystem AND explore other options.

18. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Except copy & paste. :D

19. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I bought the original just to be part of it. It did stink though. At that time my Nokia E61 was better but the blackberry's were the way to go just before they fell of the edge. Now I use an iPhone because there still isn't anything better. I'll be happy when a competitor can provide the same (or better) user experience that Apple can. Right now there are some devices you can argue are "just as good" but they don't offer a better experience.

20. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

iPhone 4. Upgraded to a 4S, and will likely keep and use it until it dies. Excellent phone, and running very nicely with iOS7.1.2.

21. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Software updates.

When I bought my iPhone 5 in early 2013, most Android phones had spotty or nonexistent update schedules. The Nexus 4 was my only other option that had decent software support, but it had a glass back like the iPhone 4/4s and I felt that was too fragile.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Because it was better than any Android offering in 2012 and to be honest I still prefer it.

23. geta macrumors 6502a

I “pulled the trigger” because i got the 4s as a present, it was and still is nice upgrade from my aging Nokia & iPod Touch 3G combo.

24. RedOrchestra Suspended

But haven't you lost a lot of App functionality with that now "aged" iOS ?

25. imanidiot Suspended

3Gs, my first smart phone. I'd had Motorola flip phones previously, the last being the Pebble, which I love to this day. Anyway, I was in Taos with my niece and her husband and we were looking for a certain restaurant, so he pulled out his iPhone and found it. I was astounded. I thought: I've got to have this. It changed my life. End of story.