Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I hated Windows 98, so I started investigating alternatives in 1998. I tried Red Hat Linux and Slackware, and basically used them until 2003, when I found Gentoo and went crazy over it. I saw OS X a couple times -- in University bookstores, et cetera -- and thought it was beautiful. I'd always hated Mac OS passionately.

So anyway, I decided that I wanted an iBook, which was the most beautiful machine I'd ever seen. So I bought one in September 2004, fully intending to install Gentoo on it (at the time I had not researched enough to discover that there was no Linux driver for the Airport Extreme). I decided to tinker with OS X a little bit. 15 minutes turned into an hour, which turned into three, which turned into a couple days, and pretty soon I swore off Linux except for servers.

I've pretty much been an Apple fanatic since the first week of owning that iBook. I went from a Linux zealot to an Apple zealot practically overnight, and I'm still very pro-Apple even though (I hope) I've gained some perspective on the pros and cons. OS X isn't the best -- it's just the best for me. Windows isn't the worst -- just the worst of the big three, for me. Linux isn't mediocre -- it's just too involved for me.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
I actually hated Mac back in my high school days. Talk about being stubborn and not knowing what to do with them lol. But after being in college for 3 years now, working on PCs CONSTANTLY (Computer Info Tech major), I know what PCs are really good for. I've concluded that gaming is the only thing PCs are good for.

Last January, I was in the market for getting a MP3 player. I bought a cheapo iRiver that lastest only about 3 months tops before I threw it away (not loud at all, firmware sucked). iPods were beginning to get popular in my neck of the woods so I took a look at the Apple website. Not meaning to, I stumbled upon Mac OSX, the upcoming Tiger release and it's new features. After looking at the world of Apple for about 3 months, I finally decided to dabble a little bit and bought an iBook. Talk about a huge step for me, I love Mac OSX.

I've been a Mac user for almost a year now and I can officially say "Mac > PC anyday of the week".

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i bought an RCA mp3 player like 3 years back, then a creative, then late 2004 i got an iPod mini and instantly noticed the difference. if the mini is that simple to use and good looking, imagine what their computers are like. then throughout school i used macs almost once a week. they were so simple to use and much easier than windows.

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
New Mac user...

As many have said before me...

1) Very tired of hitting the Windows Update site every week.
2) Very tired of protecting myself against this weeks hot virus.
3) Very tired of the constant reboots and crashes.

...and much, much more.

I had been reading this site and a couple of similar sites for quite some time and finally decided to register (i.e. stop using my friend's ID) and purchase a MBP 2.0.

I dont hate Windows. I have used Windows since 3.1 and you kind of get used to "maintaining" your system, so I honestly dont know what to expect when my new "smooth/reliable" Mac comes :D . I am certain this transition will take me some time, but I am definitely looking forward to the experience.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
I was always a "Mac Hater", and I always make fun of people who were fans of them. Then I decided to get an iPod, and then I found myself watching the Steve Jobs keynotes, and being blow away by features in Tiger that were still years away on Windows. So I bought an iMac G5, and it was by far the best computer I ever owned.

Too bad it was stolen. Oh well, upgrading to a MacBook Pro now. The only thing better than a Mac is a Mac with an Intel Core Duo.

hofnar

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
When I started doing graphics on a mac I started using OS 9.2 and I hated it! Everything would close on me, and I would get so angry. I 'was' a windows guy.

Then my PC started giving me problems like crazy. And the only way to fix them was to format and start over. I was very careful what went on my computer too. Then I got some virus I couldnt get rid of, wouldnt let me log in, and I lost half my portfolio I still had not backed up yet.

So I switched and it's great. I think costomer support is great, especially since i can get it pretty much everywhere. Actuually when i first got to Japan my screen blew, and I needed a new one and I was really scared about going to the mac store in Ginza to get it fixed. But everything went fine. Sure there English support was busy, but I was able to get across what was wrong in Japanese.

Sam Luis Obispo

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2006
First two computers were macintosh mutants and they were good. About the late 90's Windows caught up and the next two computers were PCs. Unfortunately, for both of these PCs, there was always a high frustration factor. Obviously, this was caused by errors occurring between the mouse and the chair.

Since getting a Macintosh, low frustration factor and haven't looked back.

csTYCOON

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
I plan to get a mac laptop within 2 weeks here, no real reason, really.

Dont have anything to complain about as far as Windows is concerned.

But I figured I enjoyed the palm OS which is pitted against the pocket PC, I most likely will enjoy a mac to get some more simple work done.
:)

The computer I have now works better than anything anyone could imagine. And im completly happy with it.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Bought my first mac because the LCII had the cavernous 40GB hard drive and the ability to display 256 (yep, count em' 256!) colors. Also, because it was advanced enough to work with my 8 baud modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.