Why did you return/exchange your iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfg315, Aug 4, 2008.

?

Why did you return/exchange your phone?

1. Battery issues

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Screen issues (i.e. dead pixels)

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Case cracking

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Poor 3G reception

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Loose sim card issue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dislike orignal size/color choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. Nope...I still have my original, it works great

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

I'm just trying to gauge how many exchanges there have been on this board and the biggest reason...thanks

2. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I have black, and wife has white, and they are both perfect with no issues, other than buggy 2.0 software!

3. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

apples quality after going for the major cell phone market has gone way down. i got 3 iphones on the 11th. 2 black 8gbs and my white 16gb. ok, so one 8gb had a crackling built in earpiece (the one that you put on your ear when listening to a call), the second one kept on losing reception and saying that there was no sim card installed, so it was completely useless as a phone. now, MY (16gb white) headphones where crackling in the right ear, and one of the 8gbs had a headphone that had something rattling inside. anyway, my 2 8gb replacements are now perfect, but one of the replacement headphones is rattling inside. the other 2 are fine. yes, many ridiculous problems.

4. slem macrumors newbie

Accelerometer

Nothing cosmetic (though the back did have a slight imperfection) - reason was the accelerometer was freezing up (no movement on the y axis). Other reports seemed to link the issue to 2.0, as it could be resolved temporarily by a reboot, but I exchanged on caution. Not a single problem with the new device accelerometer function - same 2.0 build, identical content.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Neither my sister nor girlfriend nor even any other friends (8+) have returned their 3G iPhones

No cracks for any

Only real problem reported by them is instability of the 3G network in some areas that are supposed to be covered

6. squidreturns macrumors newbie

Sorry, I ditched it like a hot potato, and so are my professional colleagues

I ditched my 3G today, and a number of my professional colleagues are as well. I own a small advertising and multimedia firm, we're 100% Mac based diehards. Unfortunately, myself, some of my staff, and several of the creative freelance professionals (AV, film, web design, and flash developers) who live on Macs are ditching our iPhones.

#1 and #2 reason... dropped calls and e-mail flakiness. I live and work in the NYC metro area. HARDLY lacking in 3G coverage, and my wife has a work issued 3G AT&T Blackberry Pearl. The Pearl has reception and keeps calls quite frankly where the iPhone drops constantly. I can't resolve the issue with 3 trips to the Genius Bar in a month, and after two software updates. In my opinion it's the phone, and the "fix" of turning off 3G is BS to me. I'm paying for 3G!!!!!

Second issue is e-mail flakiness. I have to restart my iPhone daily or I get no e-mail. It just flat out gets stuck. The "Airplane mode fix" doesnt work, it's all a load of BS... and how many times a day do you want to reboot a phone? I need my e-mail on my phone... it's central to why I bought an iPhone. I run my business over e-mail.

To me, these two things are a dealbreaker! And they are to the creative professionals who I work with. You live and die by your phone and e-mail in this field, and not being able to reliably use a phone or e-mail is simply not acceptable. The interface is lovely, divine, entertaining. But it's not enough to overcome the basic limitations of it's core functionality. SuperMonkeyBall doesn't make up for "Cail failed - retry" and dropped calls on major, NY area highways.

And the Apple Store geniuses... rebooters... tell you to hang in there and that it will all be fixed with future software updates. Well, I have to tell you that they offer no guarantee, and they pass the blame on the dropped calls off on AT&T. So as I said to the manager at my Apple Store... "I have 2 days left to return this thing and cancel my AT&T contract and go back to Verizon... can you guarantee me that if I give you another month and I'm not happy I have the same latitude?" And the answer was no.

So I handed over my 3G.

Verizon, by the way, gave me a Blackberry 8330 for free to come back from AT&T.

-----------------------
    2 MacBook Pros
    5 Mac Pro 8-Core workstations
    1 G4 server
    too many iPods to count

7. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

My original white iPhone had some cracks and a crooked sleep/wake button, so I exchanged it, but now my exchange has 30 or 40 cracks. I'm planning to wait a while to exchange it again (so the problem gets sorted out), but I don't know how long this phone will last. Seriously.

If I could, I'd probably just get a refund, but I'm well beyond the 14 day return period. :(