Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwannamac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
From reading posts, it seems like a lot of people have upgraded to 1.1.3 and bought the "5 apps."

That being said, I have a jailbroken 1.1.2 with the "5 apps." Why would I want to upgrade at this point? Uncomfortability with having a jailbroken device? I can already customize my Springboard. I guess maybe the locate feature with Google Maps?

Just curious.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
It's against the EULA to put those iPhone apps on your iPod...

The solution: Apple has to charge you so they can update your iPod, or buy one new where it states on the box that those features are available.

You can thank Sarbanes-Oxley for this...

dr4cula

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
The solution: Apple has to charge you so they can update your iPod, or buy one new where it states on the box that those features are available.

The new 1.1.3 update isn't free or you can update to 1.1.3 without buying the applications?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I don't like the feeling of a Jailbroken touch, a voided warranty, the 1.1.3 iTunes store lets you redeem cards from your iPod touch which is unbelievably convenient for me, the new chapters feature in movies is great, and I have a whole bunch of Christmas money with very little to do with it. :p

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can you explain what the chapters feature is (ah, never mind, that's only applicable to store-bought movies I guess)? I don't see any reference on the Apple site to this. I'm on 1.1.2jb but the web clips and reordering with drag and drop is actually kind of appealing.

I don't like the feeling of a Jailbroken touch, a voided warranty, the 1.1.3 iTunes store lets you redeem cards from your iPod touch which is unbelievably convenient for me, the new chapters feature in movies is great, and I have a whole bunch of Christmas money with very little to do with it. :p

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
I don't know if it was just my iPod touch or the 5 iPhone apps from repo.us.to or whatever it's called but on my formerly jailbroken iPod the Mail app worked NOWHERE near as good as it does now(think increased functionality plus the ability to really download up to the 200 email limit instead of ~20) with the $20 update. YMMV.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I just bought one today

And even though I planned on jailbreaking it both before and after the keynote, I balked at the last minute. Not because I was scared of bricking it, or that I felt bad for poor Apple.

When it came down to it, I think the added functionality of the new/old aps, coupled with the $20 price drop was just palatable enough for me. I would rather get these aps for the amount I planned on spending anyway, and NOT have to deal with downgrading, upgrading, downgrading again, etc when firmware 1.2 comes out. I'm guessing most of the stuff I really wanted to jailbreak for will show up in one form or another once the sdk comes out. I figured it was worth the wait to save myself some hassle, and get some okay features in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.