Why didn't Apple buy Sennheiser?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Morgan Freeman, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Morgan Freeman macrumors newbie

When Apple bought Beats I was about to kill myself, because Apple said they bought Beats, because they love music.... Well why not buy the best headphone-making-company then?? Sennheiser-headphones has on of the most clear sounds I've ever heard, and Beats is just... bvaaadar....

2. Ninjuit macrumors newbie

Beats has brand appeal. Sennheiser doesn't to the general consumer.

3. L T macrumors 6502

L T

You go out and asked any kid what headphones they want, they'd say Beats, that why!

4. 0000111 macrumors member

I was also originally baffled by their decision.

I imagine they bought Beats for the execs, such as Jimmy Iovine etc, who have large clout it the music industry. Further, the team at Beats were excellent at making an inferior product (compared to Sennheiser, as you mention) into something extremely popular and chic. Apple would benefit from this not only in their own advertising campaigns (which they're currently fighting an uphill battle against Samsung), but also for any future accessories such as their purported iWatch.

Also, the team behind Beats Music, which has received good reviews as a curated music service. They need the help for iTunes Radio.

Apple mentioned they didn't plan to rebrand Beats headphones as their own (thank goodness), so if anything, Beats headphones might actually increase in quality after Apple's meddling.

So, it seems Apple wasn't after Beats' hardware at all, but instead their creative team. Apple is best at inventing new product categories and making them insanely popular -- the copiers gain an edge on them in a matter of years (though Apple still maintains their edge through their devotees and high profit margins). By buying Beats' creative team and advertising capability, it should let them stay at the top of their game.

Or something like that.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Most people don't even know what Sennheiser is.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Apple wasn't interested in headphone quality. They were looking for music services and marketing.

7. ronaldhennessy macrumors member

Wait a minute. You want to KILL YOURSELF because Apple bought a Headphone company?

Give me a break. It's not like Apple is buying Satan.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I would imagine that the vast majority of music sales from Apple's store sit with a younger demographic. This is the same demographic that is a bit less about accuracy and quality and more about bass and punch. The latter is exactly what Beats offers and has 'street cred.'

I own 2 Senns and B&W P7 and none of them sound the same but each work quite well with certain audio. Strange enough, I find that Apple's own earpods along with the HD Dirac app do quite well in a pinch or where headphones simply would not be a good fit on the road.

If I listened to bass and beat heavy music, I would say many of the Beats offerings are a reasonable fit. Then again, I can always add "thump" to my music while using the above mentioned solutions.

9. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Although, gotta admit, that would be pretty awesome. Just think of the headlines:

"We made a deal with the devil"

----------

I'm actually kind of happy Apple didn't buy Sennheiser. Apple (like most corps) has a bad habit of destroying most of the products and services they buy.

10. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Is it really that serious? :rolleyes:

11. chown33 macrumors 604

"Apple Buys Beast".

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Apple doesn't care about headphones. The fact that Beats crappy cans make a lot of $$$ is just a bonus.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The name is too hard to spell :D.

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

This year, maybe next year too, but ultimately it's a fashion brand, not a serious audio company, though I suppose Apple has become that too.

Eventualy, people will get sick of the Beats design, the logo, the boomy sound... Dumb buy in my book.

15. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

Because they bought them for brand appeal and to target their target audience which is the younger generation which seems to love the sub par over priced beats headphones

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Who even says Sennheiser is for sale? You can't just throw money at something and expect to own it. That aside, Sennheiser isn't a hot consumer brand like Beats. Apple couldn't actually give two ***** about headphones, just how they can sell them.

17. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I figured the headphones were a bonus, the main appeal was the Beats Music service which had gained some traction.

A Sennheiser purchase wouldn't have made sense, the headphones themselves are not a priority for Apple.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Beats makes consumer products, and only consumer products. Sennheiser makes some consumer stuff, but the majority is pro recording and studio use.

And no, they weren't for sale.

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

Jessica hits the nail on the head.
    beats is just a very expensive consumer brand.

In the recording industry noone in their right mind would use those headphones.
    Want the best of the best get b&w ;)

20. jolux macrumors regular

It was an acquihire, plain and simple. They got the good music service and a good brand to maybe put some great products behind at some point.

Let people buy what they want. As long as you can find a way to make yourself feel superior, you're still an audiophile.

How is Apple a fashion brand?

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

That seems more like an acquisition for Google.

:D

22. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Because Sennheiser doesn't a streaming technology that Beats have. Plus the Beats have a founder with Huge music industry influence.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

this is ****ing hilarious. Because google would, if they could :D

24. mwa Suspended

mwa

The #1 reason would seem like streaming.

This is inestimably sweetened by the wide brand appeal that Beats enjoys, despite questionable audial quality.

I personally, were it simply a matter of quality, would ask: Why didn't Apple buy AKG? Them are some good headphones.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What would the problem be if they did do that?