Why didn't Apple give "pins" with iMessage

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Leet Apple, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

iMessage is great and all but why didn't they give a pin to each device instead of linking it with your Email & Phone number, i find it more confidently having a pin that i can easily give you instead of an email or Phone number

Any particular reasons?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Because then you'd be tasked with telling everyone your new pin each time you get a new phone, then getting everyone to add your pin, and you adding all your friends again. The email/number solution is far more elegant.

3. sxcJoshie macrumors newbie

Apple already have your email address so it would only make sense to keep it that way within the Apple ID.

A "pin" system would be a good idea except with the number of iPhone users in the world the pin number would most likely closely resemble that of a mobile phone number anyway.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Rim solved that problem. If you change you phone it will update your pin on everyone who has you on their contact list.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Given that it is trivial to create any number of email addresses and you can have any number linked with iMessage the PIN thing seems to be a complete non-issue. Simply create a new GMail/Hotmail/whatever email account and use that as a PIN.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Oh, didn't know that. I still think the email/phone number solution is better though, since your iTunes account is tied to your email address anyway.