Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
anybody know if apple released the GM for iOS 5 yet for the apple tv? I've looked everywhere and i can't find it

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Are you an iOS developer? You have to be to get the beta versions of these software. If not, then you'll have to wait until next week.

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
no I'm not a developer. does it matter? NO! its a golden master. i didn't ask if it was ok, i asked why it didn't come out…. i just installed it on my iPhone and iPad 2, i would like to be able to try out the mirroring on the iPad to the :apple:TV

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This happened with Apple TV and the 4.3 update. It'll come through the regular software update only, not through the developer portal.

Same thing will happen with updates to iPhoto, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and possibly iTunes 10.5.

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
This happened with Apple TV and the 4.3 update. It'll come through the regular software update only, not through the developer portal.

whats the point of apple doing that? why not just release a GM alongside the other iOS devices?

Sphynx

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
no I'm not a developer. does it matter? NO! its a golden master. i didn't ask if it was ok, i asked why it didn't come out…. i just installed it on my iPhone and iPad 2, i would like to be able to try out the mirroring on the iPad to the :apple:TV

Is there a reason your being a dick? The same thing happened with the 4.3 stuff. It will arrive along side the official iOS5 release. Chill out.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
because apple doesnt give a **** about the apple tv

That's why they're launching it in a ton of other countries today? :roll eyes: Apple TV GM updates have never been released on the developer portal.

iOS 4.3 GM was available March 3, 2011 for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
Apple TV 4.2 GM (based on iOS 4.3) was available March 9, 2011 (same day as general availability of 4.3 to non-developers)

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
cos it doesn't need a gold master. it's quite behind on the beta versions simply cos it had little issues. Plus it's not getting iOS 5. It's version in the beta is 4.4

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
cos it doesn't need a gold master. it's quite behind on the beta versions simply cos it had little issues. Plus it's not getting iOS 5. It's version in the beta is 4.4

It didn't have issues and Apple TV Software 4.4 is based on iOS 5.

Apple just released early versions of the iOS 5-based software update for developer testing purposes. The shipping version is likely a much newer build than the current developer beta. They held it back because there were unannounced features included it in (like iCloud music and iPhone 4S AirPlay mirroring support).

The version numbers are different for iOS and the Apple TV software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#iOS_4.x:_Initial_OS_release_on_the_Apple_TV

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Is there a reason your being a dick? The same thing happened with the 4.3 stuff. It will arrive along side the official iOS5 release. Chill out.

because he replied like i didn't know what that GM's are supposed to be developer only. I wanted an answer to my question, if he didn't have the answer he shouldn't have replied. threads on macrumors get highjacked because people feel the need to reply to threads without answering the OP's question. if you don't have an answer don't waste anybody's time, simple as that.

----------

They held it back because there were unannounced features included it in (like iCloud music and iPhone 4S AirPlay mirroring support).

those features are in the GM of iOS 5 so why would they just hold back on the apple tv version? the others were released after the keynote so they had nothing to hide.

I just wanna use Airplay Mirroring with my iPad 2. i don't wanna wait 8 days for the official release.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
those features are in the GM of iOS 5 so why would they just hold back on the apple tv version? the others were released after the keynote so they had nothing to hide.

I just wanna use Airplay Mirroring with my iPad 2. i don't wanna wait 8 days for the official release.

I was referring the why they held back newer beta builds of the forthcoming Apple TV update to developers, not why they are holding back the GM.

They have never released an Apple TV software GM on the developer portal. It's just not necessary for testing purposes.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It didn't have issues and Apple TV Software 4.4 is based on iOS 5.

You totally misunderstood my post! lol.

Firstly i was pointing out that the Apple TV is not getting version 5, it's getting version 4.4 since the person i was replying to was calling it iOS5.

Secondly, with issues, i was saying that there wasn't many beta versions like iOS5 on the iDevices due to there not being many issues, the onyl big issues were on the first beta with airplay mirroring glitching and for the 2nd version photostream would crash the apple tv.

Guess i should have written it out fully so there was no misunderstanding!

sandyjmacdonald

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
because he replied like i didn't know what that GM's are supposed to be developer only. I wanted an answer to my question, if he didn't have the answer he shouldn't have replied. threads on macrumors get highjacked because people feel the need to reply to threads without answering the OP's question. if you don't have an answer don't waste anybody's time, simple as that.

Easy tiger. My reply DID answer your question, like others have said. You'll have to wait until next week. Maybe if you were accessing these betas legitimately then you'd have grounds to be annoyed that Apple didn't release a GM candidate yesterday, but otherwise...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

You're mixing up the Software version and the OS Version. The Apple TV is definitely getting iOS 5. In fact, all of the betas have been iOS5. And its software version is around 4.x something. But the Software Version and the OS Version are two entirely different things.

If you click the select button when looking at the Settings showing the Software Version, it will switch to show you the OS Version and you will see what I'm talking about.

What most people don't understand is the Apple TV Software is basically just an App that runs in iOS similar to how Garage Band or any other app runs in iOS. And the Software version of the Apple TV app is currently 4.x something but the Apple TV itself will be running iOS5. Just like how any app developer's app could be version 1.9 or something but runs on iOS5 on your iPhone.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You're mixing up the Software version and the OS Version. The Apple TV is definitely getting iOS 5. In fact, all of the betas have been iOS5. And its software version is around 4.x something. But the Software Version and the OS Version are two entirely different things.

If you click the select button when looking at the Settings showing the Software Version, it will switch to show you the OS Version and you will see what I'm talking about.

Hmm i never knew it did that, learn something new every day! thought it was weird it didn't line up! sorry for gettin it wrong!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You guys do realize that in the keynote they were showing the new iPhone 4S has the ability to mirror to your HDTV via Airplay in 1080P right ?

Well the Apple TV 2 can do 1080P. Just not very well.

Look for a new Apple TV 3 out in the next couple of weeks.

It will just show up on the Apple Store.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Every company do what they want, its not a democracy.

Developers does not develop for Apple TV, thats why Apple does not released the GM.
For iOS is different, developers do develop for iOS so Apple released the GM in order for they to test it.

i know i hate and i love it. things we have to live with as apple fans

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Every company do what they want, its not a democracy.

Developers does not develop for Apple TV, thats why Apple does not released the GM.
For iOS is different, developers do develop for iOS so Apple released the GM in order for they to test it.

This is most definitely not true. A lot of apps interact with the Apple TV (see the recent Real Racing 2 video - which is awesome!).

My guess on why a GM wasn't released is that there are no known issues. Sorry, non-devs will have to wait until the official release to get iCloud goodness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.