Why didn't Apple use the new Intel SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaytv111, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jaytv111 macrumors regular

Take a look at the new Intel X25-M SSD, its performance is astounding

link

Why didn't Apple use these new performance monsters? I have to say I'm quite disappointed with the new MBP's because of this and other reasons.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Why?

Just buy the HD version and slap in the X25

or whatever.

Get a cheap $10 USB external case for the HD for backups

3. jaytv111 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't find it anywhere except in HP laptops

4. ChronoworX macrumors newbie

How do you know they didn't? I'm furiously trying to find out which SSD they use. Do you know which one they use? Where did you get that info?

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

you have to do a search using the full product ID for the X25

SSDSA2MH080G1C5

You can find this on Intel's site or some 'completed' Ebay's deals (How I found it)

There's nothing shady about it they are just niche and very new.

I would definitely get one if they where $300 to $400 (which I'm thinkin they might fall to ..... eventually

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F4YIYY...e=380337&creativeASIN=B001F4YIYY&linkCode=asn

6. shawmanus macrumors member

there are currently only 2 models of intel ssd. 80GB x25-m and 80GB x18-m (difference is only 2.5 and 1.8 form factor). 160GB model is expected Q1 2009. Since new mac notebooks offer 128GB SSD it is obviously not intel. Apple probably is using samsung ssd. The big question is whether it is SLC or MLC.

7. iCries macrumors regular

Lol, I talked to an Apple rep today and he told me the SSD was intel, what an a**hole he is if he lied. :(

8. ChronoworX macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, but I know of the drive, and I know it's probably the best performance for that price you can get currently.

But I wanna know how jaytv111 knows that Apple DOES NOT use these in the new MB(P). If he knows why they didn't, he probably knows which drive they DO use. And I wanna know which they DO use, so I can make some price/performance comparisons :)

9. jaytv111 thread starter macrumors regular

because the drives Apple uses are 128 Gb and not 80 Gb or 160 Gb as another poster pointed out.

10. jaytv111 thread starter macrumors regular

the Amazon link is good though, at least you can buy it from them and put it in yourself. Also these are definitely MLC, but they use Intel's controller chip, so they don't have the latency problems of previous MLC SSDs.
    More info here:
    link

(in case you didn't know, they're around 50% faster than the fastest 10k hard drive on the market, the Velociraptor.)

11. ChronoworX macrumors newbie

Yeah, he just posted it when I was typing my reply ;)

I saw this Japanese site which has a list of POSSIBLE 128-GB SSDs (translated link). I too recon that the Samsung is the most obvious choice, but who will give the real answer? Who has taken a snapshot of the system profiler on a new MB(P) with SSD ;)

According to the Samsung SSD site (link) the 128 GB is an MLC.

Another Samsung site (link) shows als a 1,8" version (for the MBA?) and a 'slim' version. What could that be ?

12. Vid macrumors member

If I had to guess I would say it is the Samsung MLC drive in the system. I hope to pick up an Intel drive for mine.

13. jaytv111 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah probably Samsung SSDs. Which are good, but not great like the Intels.