Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drexl5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
its only thing thats keeping from buying a imac i7. now i might have to look into a mac pro so i can use the black magic intensity pro card. why didnt they include it there were rumors of them including it

Dwhite78

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
its only thing thats keeping from buying a imac i7. now i might have to look into a mac pro so i can use the black magic intensity pro card. why didnt they include it there were rumors of them including it

None of the answers you get here will be more then speculation. Sorry

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

What do you need USB 3 for? I can't think of hardly any devices that support it yet.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Intel has significantly lessened its USB 3 efforts in favor of working on Light Peak. Light Peak has the potential to force every other wired interface into obsolescence, and it it can come fast enough and cheap enough then USB 3 along with the faster FireWire standards will never see widespread adaptation.

And it makes sense. Why must a computer have five different kinds of ports? Do you have five different kinds of electrical outlets in your home?

I would advise avoiding purchasing any high speed peripherals for another year or so to see how the situation evolves.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Don't you know the game?

Apple will juice you suckers for every last penny to sell the current model. When sales start to drop, they release the new model with ______ feature.

Seriously, get with it. They've got technology 10 years ahead just sitting on the shelf. They've been able to fit 256GB flash memory into an iPhone before it even came out. The MicroDS song and dance is evidence that Google and Apple are conspiring to get your money. Both sides could do so much more, but they're holding out.

Why would you buy a new computer when the one you have does everything? You wouldn't and Game Over for the big corporations. You humans are just to stupid to realize it and the select handful of you who can grasp that reality are still too stupid to care. You'll STILL buy it.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Don't you know the game?

Apple will juice you suckers for every last penny to sell the current model. When sales start to drop, they release the new model with ______ feature.

Seriously, get with it. They've got technology 10 years ahead just sitting on the shelf. They've been able to fit 256GB flash memory into an iPhone before it even came out. The MicroDS song and dance is evidence that Google and Apple are conspiring to get your money. Both sides could do so much more, but they're holding out.

Why would you buy a new computer when the one you have does everything? You wouldn't and Game Over for the big corporations. You humans are just to stupid to realize it and the select handful of you who can grasp that reality are still too stupid to care. You'll STILL buy it.

Well then…

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
Don't you know the game?

Apple will juice you suckers ....

.... along with Dell, Sony, HP, Advent, Toshiba, Compaq and every other company that makes computers (any many other electrical goods for that matter).

Apple are not the only ones guilty of this.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
They've been able to fit 256GB flash memory into an iPhone before it even came out

And just how much does that cost? Also, how fast is the memory? I cannot imagine that an iPhone could be made with 250+ GB of storage for an even remotely accessible cost.

Aug 26, 2008
Don't you know the game?

So what computer do you use exactly? :p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Because Intel does not support it yet. USB 3.0 would need a discrete controller chip which requires drivers to be written and of course, costs extra $.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
.... along with Dell, Sony, HP, Advent, Toshiba, Compaq and every other company that makes computers (any many other electrical goods for that matter).

Apple are not the only ones guilty of this.

Fair point, but you have to admit that Apple has the tendency of ignoring new formats and technologies. The obvious example would be Blu Ray or HDMI. By the time the first Mac had an HDMI, you could find HDMI ports in corn flakes boxes.

VespR

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Fair point, but you have to admit that Apple has the tendency of ignoring new formats and technologies. The obvious example would be Blu Ray or HDMI. By the time the first Mac had an HDMI, you could find HDMI ports in corn flakes boxes.

On the contrary, Apple have been the first to adopt many new formats/technologies before competitors. They were the first to ditch the floppy. First to introduce USB.

The reason there is no Blu-Ray is because Steve has publicly said the licensing is too expensive/complicated. Also they see the delivery of High-Def content through iTunes. Which understandably frustrates people who want it for the storage capacities alone.

No HDMI is probably due to their support of Mini DisplayPort which is an open standard and royalty free. Unlike HDMI which costs 4¢ per device.

And as someone already said above, USB 3 isn't available because Intel haven't integrated it into their chipsets yet (which Apple use). I suspect Apple will be in favour Light Peak instead of USB 3.

Just be patient, you probably don't really need USB 3, FireWire 800 is more than capable for storage reasons. Though eSATA is a surprising omission from at least the Mac Pro, however you can get a PCI card for that.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The reason there is no Blu-Ray is because Steve has publicly said the licensing is too expensive/complicated. Also they see the delivery of High-Def content through iTunes. Which understandably frustrates people who want it for the storage capacities alone.

iTunes won't be able to provide Blu-Ray quality for years. Currently they are 720p and the quality is far worse than Blu-Ray, mainly because the size has be fairly small so the download won't take ages. Another issue is internet caps which makes downloading or streaming movies a pain in your arse. And don't get me started on DRM.

I'm just quoting what I've heard from others. My ISP provides streaming of HD content and my connection is uncapped 24Mb/s so I have no issues with downloadable media but I know a lot people who want the media on disc and in Blu-Ray for several reasons.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
iTunes won't be able to provide Blu-Ray quality for years. Currently they are 720p and the quality is far worse than Blu-Ray, mainly because the size has be fairly small so the download won't take ages. Another issue is internet caps which makes downloading or streaming movies a pain in your arse. And don't get me started on DRM.

I'm just quoting what I've heard from others. My ISP provides streaming of HD content and my connection is uncapped 24Mb/s so I have no issues with downloadable media but I know a lot people who want the media on disc and in Blu-Ray for several reasons.

Absolutely. The audio quality that I've noticed is far from bluray. Plus imagine when ISPs start using data caps, that bluray quality movie you get through iTunes in 2015 will gobble up your cap in no time.

I'm one of the people that would like it for the capacity. I'd like to triple backup my movies and music to a separate media. I could put my library on like four or five bluray discs instead of 25 or 30 DVDs.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Intel has significantly lessened its USB 3 efforts in favor of working on Light Peak. Light Peak has the potential to force every other wired interface into obsolescence, and it it can come fast enough and cheap enough then USB 3 along with the faster FireWire standards will never see widespread adaptation.

And it makes sense. Why must a computer have five different kinds of ports? Do you have five different kinds of electrical outlets in your home?

I would advise avoiding purchasing any high speed peripherals for another year or so to see how the situation evolves.

LightPeak only has potential which means nothing in the technology world. USB 3.0 is real and has been finalized since Nov 2008. Intel needs to be wise here and take their time with LightPeek, rushing it out just to slow down the USB 3 is a major risk that it could turn LightPeek into a major flop. There's nothing that needs to be said about firewire 1600/3200, I seriously doubt it'll have the success of previous firewire 800 and likely to be replaced by USB 3.0.

Fact is that USB 3 has the brand awareness behind it that can propel it into major success rapidly if the laptop and computer manufacturers would just step up and start putting USB 3 in already. It's a matter of time before we start seeing USB 3 everywhere.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Light Peak

Light Peak has been demoed on desktops and laptops. It can handle 10 Gbps today (twice the upper limit of USB 3), can be aggregated, and will hit 100 Gbps over time. A Light Peak cable can be 100 meters or more, some thirty times the limit of USB 3. There are Light Peak bidirectional adapters that plug into current USB, FireWire, and Ethernet ports.

Remeber boys and girls, it's easier to push a photon than an electron.

USB 3 is DOOMED.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/adapters/2010/08/05/intel-light-peak-a-tech-guide-40089748/

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Light Peak sounds very interesting. If it can transfer stuff that fast, are they going to make a way for HDD’s and SSD’s to connect using it on a motherboard?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
On the contrary, Apple have been the first to adopt many new formats/technologies before competitors. They were the first to ditch the floppy. First to introduce USB.

No HDMI is probably due to their support of Mini DisplayPort which is an open standard and royalty free. Unlike HDMI which costs 4¢ per device.

And as someone already said above, USB 3 isn't available because Intel haven't integrated it into their chipsets yet (which Apple use). I suspect Apple will be in favour Light Peak instead of USB 3.

Just be patient, you probably don't really need USB 3, FireWire 800 is more than capable for storage reasons. Though eSATA is a surprising omission from at least the Mac Pro, however you can get a PCI card for that.

1.) About the floppy-disc: to ditch a format is hardly something to be proud of, unless you provide viable alternatives.

2.) So people, who pay a hefty premium for a Mac might have problem paying the 4¢ licence fee?!

3.) About the Firewire 800: tell that to unibody MacBook and MacBook Air owners. You might remember that Apple ditched the format there...

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Light Peak sounds very interesting. If it can transfer stuff that fast, are they going to make a way for HDD’s and SSD’s to connect using it on a motherboard?
Sure.

First, there are two LP cables in the standard: 1) Dual fiber optic (one each direction), and 2) Dual fiber plus dual copper (for power and return).

LP #2 power should be enough to handle an SSD and probably an HDD as well. Maybe a separate power cable might be needed for a power hungry device. For existing SATA drives, all that's needed is an LP/SATA adapter. LP is fast enough to handle any SATA drive around today. The LP controller itself is only about 12 mm2 of silicon.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Photons 'R Us

Also, Apple already has fiber optic support of a kind with its 4 Gbps Fibre Channel cards. These have been around for a while and Light Peak is the natural successor.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
1.) About the floppy-disc: to ditch a format is hardly something to be proud of, unless you provide viable alternatives.

2.) So people, who pay a hefty premium for a Mac might have problem paying the 4¢ licence fee?!

3.) About the Firewire 800: tell that to unibody MacBook and MacBook Air owners. You might remember that Apple ditched the format there...

Apple said good-bye to the floppy the day they introduced easy Internet connectivity and USB (thumb drives). And people could still get a USB floppy drive as I did. But they weren't needed much once legacy data was copied.

Apple's support of FireWire on computers is the best in the industry. It puts FireWire on any machine a pro might use. What I would have liked is keeping FireWire 400 Mbps connectors as well as the 800 Mbps connectors and here Apple has fallen short on its newest boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.