Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Hmm, they glossed over the Mini 3 so fast I'm pretty sure there wasn't any processor improvement... edit: yes it is an A7.

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
That surprised me - if it's a Mini 2 with Touch ID (like, A7 chip and everything) and they're charging $100 more for it, that's insane!

Everyone should buy the second gen if that's true. And it's $100 cheaper now.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Not too bothered, simply means keeping my iPad mini another year is now painless. I think it would be crazy to upgrade simply for Touch ID.

They have made the decision easy :)

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Mini 3 only gets touchID..

They are really trying to seperate the want for the Air from the Mini now by keeping the Mini 1 year ago CPU speeds..

Oh well, definately getting Air 2.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Not too bothered, simply means keeping my iPad mini another year is now painless. I think it would be crazy to upgrade simply for Touch ID.

EXACTLY (Plus I feel less guilty having bought yet another expensive case for my current rMini)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ridiculous that they are now offering 3 versions of the Mini. There is no reason for it. They don't need a device at every $50 price point. Consolidate the supply chain into one iPad mini and sell out old supplies of the old one. 3 different versions that are each only incrementally different???

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
They're trying to push us towards the Air by making it so much thinner and lighter.

Sucks but it seems like the Mini will be seen as the "casual" device.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
The Mini size is close to the iPhone 6 Plus.. therefore I see a phasing out of the Mini eventually.. this is the start!

I hope not.

If this is so, why did they play up the fact that the Mini has the 100 percent approval rating?

I can't imagine they'd try to kill of a product that gets so high acclaim. I'm assuming they're just going to lag it behind the flagship every year.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I think most iPad mini 2 owners are going to feel the same way as you do.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I hope not.

If this is so, why did they play up the fact that the Mini has the 100 percent approval rating?

I can't imagine they'd try to kill of a product that gets so high acclaim. I'm assuming they're just going to lag it behind the flagship every year.

Like others are saying now, maybe to make the larger iPad the power user's choice and the Mini more casual then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.