iPad Why different TMO vs ATT Cellular Models?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shenan1982, Nov 1, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm trying to figure out why there are ATT vs TMO skus this time around. With the iPhone 5S, the chip is the same so the product is the same between the TMO and ATT model, and has the full gamut of frequencies on both.

With the iPad Air, it appears the ATT and TMO versions are two different sku. Anyone know what the difference is? I was really hoping it was the same product so I could sim-swap between my ATT and TMO sim cards

2. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

They just come with different SIM cards pre installed. They don't make you activate in store, so feel free to grab whatever you can get, as long as you can get a replacement sim for your carrier.

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Oh I see, so the cellular chips inside are the same between the two? Good to know. :)

Not buying the air, but my assumption is the same thing will be the case in the Mini when it comes out.

4. Vctr macrumors regular

They might have different SKU's for the reason that DaveOP mentioned, but it looks like they are the same model # for all carriers.

Take a look here ... http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Wow! It literally has all the bands. Now I wish the iPhone 5s had all those bands, haha. Basically the 5s on LTE is impossible outside the US, but the iPad looks entirely possible!