Why do 3g iphones go for so much on ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsxr370, Jun 21, 2009.

1. gsxr370 macrumors member

I just sold my beat up 3g for 285. I was hoping for 100.00. I even explained in the ad how scratched up it was and that it has scratches on the screen. I had about 10 pics of it and it still sold. Why?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No Contract + a very robust refurbishing scene. The scratched glass can be replaced for around 40 bucks and I'm sure someone can source the back assembly for cheap if bought in bulk.

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

who cares why it sold? It did and for a good amount? :D

4. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

im just curious. I kind of feel bad. But then again. Now I can buy my wife a 3gs and put 85 dollars in my pocket

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Don't feel bad. The market dictates the price and that's how much it's worth. You have to remember this is 'the' hot ticket item. People will settle for a beat up example if the price and conditions are right. Do people feel bad when they're selling a rare Porsche or Ferrari for those exorbinate prices? ;)

6. dmb499 macrumors regular

i sold mine on ebay. should i take the sim card out or ship it with it? i restored the iphone to the factory settings. is there anything else i should be doing? i just don't want the buyer to be able to see anything i had on the phone prior.

7. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

never....

never, ever give the sim card. Why would you give someone your sim card?

Search on security. Some have advanced methods beyond restore.

8. pintnight macrumors 6502

Take your SIM card out.

9. dmb499 macrumors regular

thanks guys...good thing i asked, because i was going to leave it in there!

10. notjustgc macrumors 6502

Sold mine for just under $400 to some guy in the UK... He paid a little OVER $400 with shipping. I don't get it.

11. firewood macrumors 604

Do a secure wipe. In Settings. Or just enter the wrong passcode 10 times.

12. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I'm about to sell mine for $400, and then I'm going to sell my dad's, and we'll both have iPhone 3GSs! And then when next year rolls around, I'm going to do the same thing and hopefully sell both phones again to offset the upgrading cost again.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

My white 3G sold for $400 on craigslist. :) Didn't feel bad, I insisted on the price and got it within 24 hours.

Lots of people want the phone without the contract.

14. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

That only shows how much we are forking over in 24 months with a 2-year contract.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Just sold my mint 16GB White 3g for just $250 and am totally happy.

I used craigslist and posted they had to live on Kauai. 10 minutes later I got my first inquiry and asked them if they lived on Kauai. Got no reply. 15 minutes later someone emailed me a local phone number and asked me to call.

It was a nice teenager who then put his grandmother on the phone. We talked for a few minutes and they decided to take it. It took me two hours to do a data wipe and then I called back. 15 minutes later I met them at the Starbucks that is a mile from my house.

They were thrilled and thanked me heavily for being so generous with the price. For me it was worth taking less for getting it all done in less than 3 hours. It would have been ONE hour if I had done the data wipe earlier.

He had an 8gb 3g but the lower half of the screen had stopped responding to touch. They were also very happy to hear about a local repair shop that buys broken iPhones for the parts. He should even get some of his money back.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And it also shows how much AT&T subsidizes the equipment.

Last week our consultant from India told me how cheap things are in the US because of the US$. I imagine those prices are bargins for buyers outside of the US. When he gets to Singapore he's going to look at phones and let me know how much they sell for.

17. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

lol, i sold the iphone 3G last year for a little over $400.00. I sort of felt bad, but then I just though, if the person is going to pay for it, then I'll let the person buy it.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Hah, irony of ironies. This company bought Google ad space that showed up on these forums, and as people are talking about selling their iPhones for $400 on craigslist, their ad appears underneath the thread offering half as much.

Talk about buyback-offer fail. :D

Incidentally, I sold mine on eBay for $279. Maybe I could've gotten more, but I wanted a quick sale, it was a fair price to me.

19. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

So they can afford a new 3GS since they aren't qualified for an upgrade yet.

20. Chiggs macrumors member

Prices seem to be falling as supply increases with so many people selling after upgrading to the 3Gs... $450-$500 a few weeks ago for a used 16 Gig 3G seemed to be the average but there are lots in the $375-$400 range now.

21. timotheezz macrumors regular

what can one expect for a dinged up, but perfectly usable iPhone 2G?

22. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Good man. I opted to go a similar route. I'm selling my 3G for $200 to a high school kid that seems really nice. I figured what the hell, it gets me my 3GS for only $100 and I might possibly get a little good karma floating my way. I know I could have probably gotten more, but this was super quick and easy. Quick and easy is worth a lot in my book!

23. JaySC macrumors member

$100? Anyone? I saw one that was a bit dinged up (yet perfectly usable) go for $75 recently.

24. bob vansteel macrumors regular

Do you people not get it! Your iphone unsubsidized cost about $499-$599!!! You ended up paying that much over time in that nifty little "iphone data plan"....so basically you are the ones getting ripped off.

25. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

No one is getting ripped off if they know what they are paying. There are no surprises. I am always a little shocked at people who do not think any company deserves to make a profit. If they were not out there actually making a profit we would not have these fun toys.

If you did not work for a company that was making a profit you would not have a job. It is like people complaining about their work being hard. If it was called fun, they would not be paying you!