Why do all applications have a 'services' section in their top menu?

moveright

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
As the title states. All applications seem to have a section called 'services' in their left-most menu. When I mouseover it and expand it, it says "no services apply" and "services preferences".

Not sure what this is. thanks!

moveright

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
The following links should (might) answer your questions. The first one is dated but still applicable, the second is more recent.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/slimming-down-and-power-up-your-mac-service-menu/

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/mac_os_x_configuring_and_using_the_services_menu/
Thank you! After reading the preceding information however, the services menu seems completely useless. I realize that the car may be useless to the blind man so, in all fairness, I suppose the necessity of the services may be fairly relevant.

Reminds me of Automator. After reading several "100 reasons to use automator" blog articles, I still find it completely useless.

Am I underusing my software?
:confused:

Comment

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Thank you! After reading the preceding information however, the services menu seems completely useless. I realize that the car may be useless to the blind man so, in all fairness, I suppose the necessity of the services may be fairly relevant.

Reminds me of Automator. After reading several "100 reasons to use automator" blog articles, I still find it completely useless.

Am I underusing my software?
:confused:
Not necessarily. People use their systems in different ways, and what might be useful to one may be less so to another. I have to agree on the Automator "reasons to use" lists though. I've never seen a good one.

Why not open a thread asking folks who use automator to share what they use it for? It might be interesting.

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Not necessarily. People use their systems in different ways, and what might be useful to one may be less so to another. I have to agree on the Automator "reasons to use" lists though. I've never seen a good one.

Why not open a thread asking folks who use automator to share what they use it for? It might be interesting.
He doesn't necessarily need to open a new thread about Automator, but do a search on it. There are a lot of threads already out there with various ideas of what to use it for.

Automator search

In fact, I only use it for one thing, and that is to remove LSO's or Flash cookies.

Comment