Why do Apple make it so difficult to buy Macs? (Three weeks before they even ship???)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajbrehm, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I am trying to order a Mac Pro.

But I found that when I change the memory configuration the time it takes to ship the computer increases from 3 days to 3 weeks!

What's the matter with those people?

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's probably that they have all the stock configurations all packed and ready to go all the time.

it's just a guess but if the iPods are assembled in China, I imagine Macs are too so any modifications mean apple have them shipped to them, un-boxed, upgraded, re-boxed and then shipped to the customer.

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Do your own memory install. It'll be cheaper and faster.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, I believe they are BTO'ed right in the factories in China.

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Technically, they're making it difficult to get the Mac, not to buy it...

:p

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So, you're surprised that buying a custom-built system takes longer than ordering a stock system? :rolleyes: It's like buying a car right off the dealer's lot vs. ordering one from the factory. Which do you think will take longer?

As another poster suggested, buy the stock system and install the memory yourself. You'll save time and money...

7. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Standard configs are in stock; anything non-standard and you have to wait until it gets to your place from China (you can even use the shipping number to track it... hehe...)

Slightly less than 2yrs ago, I've waited 6 bloody weeks for MBP; That was plain ridiculous...