Why do apps start opening slower?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors member

My macbook is 35 months, 2 years. I've uninstalled/deleted a lot of programs and things I don't need. Still, when I open chrome it does a bunch of bounces before it even opens, same with a lot of programs. My family got a macbook air and jealous of how speedy applications open - in seconds as opposed to mine. Any way to speed it up?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As B... mentioned upgrade the ram and/or the storage to SSD.
    You only have two options to upgrade your laptop (ram/storage). If you're not happy with the performance there's always the option of buying a new one ;)

4. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Good ideas, although it still is pretty fast, so it's not that big of a deal. I just wish there was an easier way to get your mac running like brand new!

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, an SSD would probably be the only way to do that. It'd make a huge difference.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Laziness and poor work ethic. I also hear that Skype likes hitting the bottle during the day.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your MBP uses a magnetic platter hard drive, which can only reach speeds of about 80 to 100 MB/s reading.

The Air uses a SSD which can sometimes reach up to 600MB/s in read speed.

So that means the Air is 5 to 6 times faster at putting an application into RAM for further processing, hence why it opens apps faster.

Once the App is open though, the SSD no longer helps speed.

Want the same speediness opening apps? Buy a SSD, that's the only way you'll get there.

8. cmanderson macrumors regular

cmanderson

You may have a frame rate problem with your eyes. Apple and Intel are teaming up to help you solve that problem with a future product based on Iris Graphics and Retina displays. Stay tuned (and eyes peeled...)

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Try putting your MacBook to sleep instead of shutting it down.

The longest wait is almost always launching a program for the first time after you're rebooted (or just started up) your Mac.

10. montom macrumors member

If you notice other slowdowns, including taking longer to start up, then your hard drive might be starting to fail.