Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
If you go to any major online banking site, you'll probably notice that the login separates the username & password onto two separate pages. Why do this? What is the security advantage?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Neither of my 2 banks do this

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Mine does this. Also, when I'm at the password stage, there's a picture and a phrase that I added that is unique to my account. Makes it much harder to spoof the site that way, although I'm not sure about the multiple page thing.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Mine does this. Also, when I'm at the password stage, there's a picture and a phrase that I added that is unique to my account. Makes it much harder to spoof the site that way, although I'm not sure about the multiple page thing.

Ditto with my bank. The separate page thing is to make it a little harder to spoof the session, as well as giving the system a chance to find the image associated with your account so it can be shown to you.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Wait. How does showing you stuff you've uploaded after you've given one part of the authentication help stop spoofing?

My spoof site looks like your bank site. You enter your username and click the button to go to the next page. My spoofing site goes to your bank's site and performs the same operation, getting the content you provided to the bank, and then showing them to you on the next page. Spoof continues unhindered.

Or am I missing something?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Wait. How does showing you stuff you've uploaded after you've given one part of the authentication help stop spoofing?
No uploading involved. As I said, it makes it harder, not stops it. I'm sure they do other stuff on that back end as well to help detect spoofing. Also, you're talking about a phishing site, whereas the spoofing I'm referring to involves the session variable on the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.