why do colors look so different in eps placed in ID?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by nicrose, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nicrose macrumors member

When I place an .eps file with lots of solid color (a logo) into indesign, the colors always look so much different. The .eps has been converted to cmyk. The same thing happens when I place a tiff into indesign. I don't get it!

When I place an .ai version of this file, the colors also look bad. Why would this be happening? When I convert the original rgb .ai file into cmyk in illustrator, the colors remain the same while looking at the file in illustrator. And I chose printer safe colors because I'm not getting an exlamation point from the color picker, so what's the deal here?

nicrose

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

it might be possible that indesign could be using a different color space than the other programs. The only thing that I can think of. Could you post photos so we can get a better clue.

(If my post just completely confused you I'm sorry, I've never run indesign, just photoshop and the occasional illustrator)

3. geeman macrumors regular

Is this just when viewing on screen, or when printing out as well?

EPS and TIFF files have their own low-res preview that ID uses. The previews aren't colour-managed.

4. nicrose thread starter macrumors member

response to geeman

But the colors look wrong even if I place the image in Illustrator format. Are illustrator previews not color managed either in ID??

I have not printed the stuff out yet, but I will try tomorrow.

Nicrose

5. geeman macrumors regular

I believe that they are in CS3, since all the new Adobe apps render PostScript / PDF in the same way (PDF Print Engine).

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Never rely solely on what you see on screen.. what prints is what's important.

Anyways, InDesign shows a low-res version on screen in order to speed up the program. I haven't used it in a while, but I think you can right click on an image and specify a high-res view. Either way, try printing the job out and see what it looks like on paper before trying to make changes..then come back and let us know.

7. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

Shift-Option-Apple-Y

that's overprint preview...
    that will give you a more accurate view of things.

(if you don't like keyboard shortcuts...it'ss View-Overprint Preview)

-JE

8. oscuh macrumors 6502

it may also depend on your viewing options ... that is to say whether or not you're Display Performance is set to High.

You'll typically see considerable color shift as well as an overall higher-res preview.

As far as printing, don't trust your laser printer either. Make sure you see a proof from your print shop before having the finished piece produced.