Why do folders open in a new window?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ICONYK, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ICONYK macrumors newbie

Hi. I just made the switch from PC to MAC. So far I am doing ok with all the differences but one thing is driving me insane!

When browsing through my HD or external HD every time I click a folder it opens a new window. WHY? Is there any way to have it all use one window? I found in Finder there is an option to always open in a new window but this option is not checked.

Any help is appreciated.

In case it matters I am running OSX 10.6.3.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If that option is not selected, it should always open in the same window as you expect. Try going to Finder -> Preferences -> General, checking Always open folders in a new window (what I assume you're referring to), closing the preferences window, then going back in and deselecting it again. Any change?

3. ICONYK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. That worked for my internal HD but my external still opens a new window each time.

Thanks again for the help.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Are you using Finder in compact mode (toggled with the grey jelly bean button in the upper-right corner of a Finder window)? When I'm in compact mode and using icon or list view, double-clicking folders opens them in a new Finder window regardless of the preference already discussed.

[​IMG]
    (image from this site.)

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Whoa, Panther. Blast from the past!

I hadn't made the connection, but that's a good point. That preference can be overridden by your current view mode.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can also override the "new vs. current" window setting by using Option or Command when double-clicking a folder. On mine (OS 10.5.8) Option overrides the setting on my flash drive windows, and Command on my hard drive windows.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It was the first screen shot I could find online showing the two different modes. Well actually, the first ones I found were from 10.0 and 10.1, but I don't think many people would have recognized Finder from then.

8. ICONYK thread starter macrumors newbie

9. texasmccoy macrumors member

texasmccoy

:) YAAY! This worked to solve the multiple-windows issue. I was having the same exact problem (clicking on anything in Finder opened up a new window each time) and it was driving me mad, since I have been a Mac user for going on 10 years now and had not yet experienced this behavior. Problem started after I updated Firefox and the new download opened up in a compact window, which presumably caused all of Finder to start behaving the same way. Thanks for sharing this solution, so simple yet I have never paused to wonder what the jelly-bean button is for. Now I know ;)