Why do I always shop near a refresh? (and more)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enigma2118, May 4, 2013.

1. enigma2118 macrumors regular

Hey there y'all,

So, yeah, I always seem to be shopping for a mac right around a refresh date. Right now, looking for a Macbook.

Couple of questions maybe someone would like to take a guess at:

1. How quickly do we usually see the prices of the previous model drop after the new model is released? By how much (usually-ish)?

2. How long does it take Apple to actually start getting the new model into our hands. (how long after *when/if* WWDC would you actually be able to get one?)

3. And lastly, does anyone think there is any way that a refreshed rMBP would be able to have non-soldered ram? Anyone think they could have found a way to avoid that and keep their thin design, or do you think the design means it would still have to be soldered?

I'm really curious what some of you who follow these may think.

And as a side note, has anyone seen this site: tecknew.com ?
    I really really wish it was legit, but I just gotta believe it is not. Prices are too good to be true. I've done all the usual steps (except calling them) and it doesn't seem to help the argument that they are legit. Found some reviews...but all posted within days of each other, and all from the same area (Lafayette LA) where the business supposedly is. Yeah....

Anyway, thanks for reading.

2. enigma2118 thread starter macrumors regular

as far as that site goes

Yeah, that site is a total scam. 100% positive. While Whois and reputation websites didn't have an opinion yet (very new site) I was able to confirm that the site is a scam. I don't want to say here, because this post is now coming up when you google the site name, and I don't want to give away how I determined this, and help them get better next time, cause you know there will be a next time, stupid scammers.

Will say this though. They did their best.

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

I've never seen significant price drops on previous models after new ones come out. Apple seems to do a pretty good job on their end of not having to "clear out" old models. I've never looked into it carefully, you may be able to find slight discounts from other online retailers.

It depends how long it takes for new products to show up after an announcement. Usually if its just a minor hardware spec bump, they ship immediately. If it is something that is overhauled (like the last iMac release) it could be up to a month or more.

I personally don't think that soldered ram is going away. Bringing back the brackets for removable RAM in thin laptops doesn't really make sense.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

soldered in RAM is definitely here to stay, especially in laptops.

There were significant price drops on in-stock rMBPs when they did the spec bump/price drop not that long ago, but the drops were pretty much to make the in-stock rMBPs in line with the new ones so they could clear inventory.

New models are sometimes in stores the day or day after they are announced. Other times it takes a few weeks.