Why do i feel like the only one - do i need a new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iOrbit, Sep 25, 2012.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

im pretty frustrated, i just became an apple user in march 2012, its been a bumpy road. i love OS X. i hate the problems though. i feel frustrated because it seems like most others here don't know what issues im complaining about, including people with the same Mac model as mine.

to my memory my computer worked perfectly fine in the ways it hasn't since around mountain lion in July.

these issues included hard freezes (with moving cursors) which others are experiencing.. blue tinted colour profiles taking over my custom calibration with certain programs open. to me these issues are probably going to be fixed at some point.

but whats really gotten to me is this UI stuttering lag i experience when using swiping on the trackpad with Launchpad pages and desktop/spaces swiping.

the otherday, i caved in and put faith in a 'clean install' of mountain lion, to my surprise, it improved quite a lot and more consistently. i decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and just start installing my apps again, i decided i would log them though to keep an eye out for a culprit causing any issues.

well, eventually the stuttering lag came back, not as bad as often as before, but still. i uninstalled all the apps except for the official apple ones (inc ilife/iwork) and it remained.

i wondered what could cause this for me and not others? in the end i experimented with launchpad and i found that if i have less than about 25 apps on the first page, it will remain smooth like it did on lion. anymore, and the lag begins to show up. - why the heck does this happen? is my macbook's gpu not powerful enough??

desktop swiping - generally smooth as lion unless i have several apps on one desktop up, then it begins to lag in transition.

so i can't understand this, even today i made two partitions and clean installed lion and ml on each partition and compared, lion performs a little better but still suffers the issue, though not as easily on the launchpad.

does it take a better macbook to stop this lag? what could cause it? why is it some experience it and apparently most others not??

the only thing i can think of, is that i upgraded the mbp myself:

a samsung ssd 830 256gb, and crucial 16gb Ram.

at this point, i'm so so close to being a completely satisfied and happy apple user, yet.. so far becuase of the issues that im experiencing. its true that alot of apple users remain loyal, for me i know its because despite the issues, everything about it i love much more over windows.. and ubuntu.

i'm not sure what to do.. i was thinking about going to an apple store and seeing some other macbooks mysef to see if they have this issue, and maybe see a genius bar person about it, maybe theres something wrong that they can do to fix?

or i was thinking about selling my macbook asap especially before the apple care runs out, and recoup as much of the value and money i invested into it, and upgrade to a 2012 machine with better gpu's..

2. erfaillace macrumors newbie

Yes

You need one... buy one now!

Attached Files:

3. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

take it to them , explain your issues and see what they say , you can also try applecare tech support

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I wouldn't buy a new one, especially for what is really a cosmetic issue. Something must be wrong. While I've got a 15" 2011 MBP with discrete graphics, even my older 2008 MB with integrated graphics handled Lion just fine. Make sure you have the latest 10.8.2 Mountain Lion installed.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Open up Activity Monitor and see what is slowing you down.

6. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

how can it be anything in activity monitor when the issue is apparent straight away in a clean install?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Something is slowing your system down - Activity Monitor will allow you to further determine whether it is software related or not. If there isn't anything out of the ordinary, it may be hardware related and in which case you will have to act on your warranty.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Slick :)

9. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG][​IMG]

i'm not sure what to look for..

10. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Instead of selecting "My Processes" select "All Processes". When you first install OS X it will index which is why you might see lag on a clean install, and you leave activity monitor running and check it only when you notice the lag. Look at the "System Memory" panel in activity monitor and see if you have lots of Page Outs and Swap used when you get the lag, this will tell you if your slowdowns are related to limited physical RAM (though with 16GB that is *highly* unlikely).

Someone on this forum was getting constant lags here with a self-upgraded SSD (a crucial M4), perhaps that is the problem?

If you see lag and you see a process called mdworker or mds using up lots of CPU then spotlight could be a culprit. There is also lots of trouble shooting info on this forum, especially checkout copious useful links from GGStudios posts. He claims he is human but I'm sure he is a support droid AI sat somewhere at infinity loop! :p

11. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

the lag isn't irregular, basically, i can go to launch pad right now with 90% confidence that if iswitch back and forth once or twice on the launchpad pages, the lag will kick in, it always kicks in on page 1 where the icons are full on the page.

i forgot to select all processes :(

thanks for the info, yeah maybe its possible i damaged something? i don't consier that likely as much, i built a desktop computer, done many upgrades on that desktop and ugpraded all 3 of my laptops memory and hdd's.

yes, im certain this lag has nothing to do with the paging outs, i know what that is like, i had it alot on 4gb on lion which is why i upgraded to 8, realised that wasn't enough, and went to 16.

whats the chances of someone causing this kind of issue by uprade, and how? static?? is this something apple would deny fixing for me? i would be bitterly disappointed if so.

12. bill-p macrumors 65816

I think you can try this:

1) Open Terminal (it's under Applications > Utilities)
    2) Type in "killall Dock"
    3) Press enter

Now see if it's still lagging.

13. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

says command not found! :S

14. bill-p macrumors 65816

killall Dock

You sure typed that right? There are 4 l's in total... and that's an "L" in lowercase, not an i in uppercase.

That command in uppercase would look like this:

KILLALL DOCK

15. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

im certain , strange cause i'v killed that process before.

16. nitromac macrumors 6502

upgrading to 10.8.2 fixed all my interface lag.

17. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

The important bit it the capital D:

killall Dock

Perhaps you should do a memory test on your RAM?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM

As others have said, 10.8.2 contained updated graphics drivers you could try if you haven't updated yet. Other suggestions are turn off Stacks in Dock and hide dock by default (voodoo but it helped stutter for some in the past).

18. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah, the Capital D got it to work.

still lagging, seemed for a moment initially that it had an effect though.

i did memtest a month ago or so to see if my memory was causing freeze issus, memtest said all is well.

i do have plenty of ram to try with though, i still have hte original apple 4gb ram, and 8gb upgrades.