Why Do I Get Black Side Boarders On My 32" 1080p LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PeteJames, Aug 17, 2012.

1. PeteJames macrumors regular

PeteJames

I'm plugging in my late 2008 macbook pro into my Sony Bravia 32" 1080p LCD. I'm using minidisplay port to HDMI and I get 1 inch black boarders on each side of my tv? This is using mirror mode in the 1080p display setting and the correct PAL setting. When I change to 1080i there is half an inch black boarder either side.

How can I get my macbook pro to display the full screen preferably without losing resolution quality?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

The MBP is a 16:10 aspect ratio, the TV is a 16:9 aspect ratio. Since they are not the same, if you want to mirror either you need to stretch the display, or you need to have bars on one computer or the other.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yup, since both are not the same ratio, the only way not to have black bars would be to either crop/stretch the input in your TV aspect ratio settings, or to configure your TV as an extension of your monitor instead of mirror mode.

4. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

The only crops the tv lets me do are terribly zoomed. How do I do the latter. Before I discovered mirror mode I had to go through the hassle of closing my macbook pro lid and pluging in and external mouse to wake it up and then my macbook pro would mirror my macbook pro display but at 1080p. It was too much trouble tough.

What are the options available when using my tv as an extension of my monitor? Without mirror mode it displays some other page of osx.

5. Rocky244 macrumors regular

If you use your TV as an extension, you can set its resolution independent of the computer display. This means that you can have both displays be filled and correctly so with their native resolutions.

To do this simply go to System Preferences>Displays with the display plugged in. Go to Arrangement and deselect mirror displays. You will now be in extended desktop mode. Here you can drag around the windows in the little graphic to set them to the best location for you. You can also choose which window will have your menu bar. You can do this by dragging the menu bar in the graphic onto whichever screen suits you best.

After doing those steps, each display will have its own display preference window. Use these windows to select the best resolution for your displays independently. If you are currently using ML, you can just select "Best for Display".

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

There are usually 2 different buttons on your remote, one will do a huge like the one you mention, and another will do smaller zooms, stretches and such to adjust the aspect ratio.

I don't know how this button looks specifically on your TV remote, but it usually looks like the button written "FORMAT" in this image:

[​IMG]

7. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

Hi, this is the remote I have. I've been using the button just above the internet video writing.

[​IMG]

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Hmmm, it's hard to see on that image. Have you tried the button on the right of the 0 button?

I'm 100% sure the function exists, I've never seen an HDTV that doesn't allow control over aspect ratio.

If you don't find it you can always try the i-Manual button and maybe it will help you.

9. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

These are all of the screen formats available to me I think. I could only see smart, wide and zoom on the hdmi. I do seem to be using the correct button according to the manual.

Screen Format/Wide Mode
    (option name varies depending on your region/country)

Some option names vary depending on your region/country.
    “14:9” is available depending on your region/country.
    Smart/Wide Zoom
    Fills the screen with minimum distortion.
    4:3/Normal
    Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size. Side bars are shown to fill the 16:9 screen.
    Wide/Full
    Enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the original source is 4:3.
    When the original source is 16:9 (High-definition source), select this option to display the 16:9 picture in its original size.
    Zoom
    Displays the cinemascopic (letter box format) picture in the correct proportion.
    14:9
    Displays the 14:9 picture in the correct proportion. As a result, side bars are shown on the screen.
    Auto Format/Auto Wide
    (option name varies depending on your region/country)
    Automatically changes “Screen Format/Wide Mode” to match the input signal.
    4:3 Default
    Sets the default screen format for a 4:3 broadcast.
    Auto Display Area
    Automatically adjusts the picture to the most appropriate display area.
    Display Area
    Adjusts the picture display area. Select “Full Pixel” to display the original picture when parts of the picture are cut, “+1” to display the original picture, “Normal” to display the recommended size picture, or “-1” to enlarge the picture.
    Screen Position
    Adjusts the vertical position and horizontal position of the picture.
    Vertical Size
    Adjusts the vertical size of the picture.

10. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

Here's the manual and screenshot of a page about aspect ratio,
    Cheers

Attached Files:

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In System Preferences—>Displays there is an option called "Overscan compensation;" it's usually in the form of a slider. Make sure you slide that all the way to left where it reads "Off."

12. PeteJames thread starter macrumors regular

PeteJames

There's an overscan checkbox but it actually makes the resolution smaller in widescreen mode. If I go out of pal mode and uncheck it then choose smart mode on my tv it does fill the display but is streched. I'll just use it as it is - still a massive screen so an inch each side doesnt matter too much :D

13. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It was the right button, your TV simply doesn't support scaling any ratio other than 4:3 and 14:9. Looks like you'll have to deal with black bars if you really want mirror mode.

Some TVs detect what the screen ratio of the input is, so it can scale any ratio. A bit like when you double-tap a letterboxed video on an iPhone or iPad. It seems your TV doesn't do that.