Why do I get faster connection on VPN?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBH928, Mar 23, 2015.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Just wondering, sometimes I get a faster connection when I go through a VPN than without. I did some research and found out others around the world would also get a faster connection on VPN , although not everyone.

Do you know the reason for this?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It all depends on congestion in the internet backbone. If there are some bottlenecks the VPN escapes, you will see better performance.
    The routing in the great big web isn't ideal and there are some hot spots. The connection from VPN to you may be free of troubled over loaded spots and the VPN to whatever you currently demand is too. But the connection from you directly to the content you want is routed through a congested node in the backbone which slows everything down.

Alternatively sometimes it can also be that the content holders throttle performance to users who they don't want, like from other countries or such (where their adverts don't generate money). In which case the VPN just hides your identification and the server thinks you aren't some peasant that only deserves the slowest service.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So Are you saying for example that if the city where I live has heavy traffic to YouTube, it would be faster for me to connect through a VPN in another country and from there connect to YouTube?

Assuming the physical location of the VPN service does not heavy traffic to the YouTube servers?

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes but I doubt youtube should have such issues.

5. JohnWick macrumors member

Well as far as I know VPN slow down your internet connection..

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Are you connecting to your home WiFi network in this scenario?

7. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

yes

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Well it could be congestion. It is more likely that your ISP is throttling or bandwidth shaping traffic.

Does it happen all day every day or at what could be considered the busy times?

When you use a VPN for YouTube your ISP can't see that traffic and as such can't apply traffic shaping rules.

9. csixty4 macrumors regular

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is compression. OpenVPN and some Cisco VPN products can compress the data coming over the VPN connection and improve performance that way.

10. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

That's not always the case. It can generally but it's more comprehensive, see above.