Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I have been watching my page outs since reading learning about it from a couple of memory threads.

I've got 1.5gig of ram on an eMac 1.42GHz

I started at zero pageouts this morning when I started up. There were about 500 after a while even though there was heaps of free memory. I'm just about to shut down and I notice a whopping 66,000 pageouts to only 120,000 page ins. This seems like a worrying proportion of page outs considering that I have plenty of ram and memory didn't seem to be being taxed all that much today.

Should I be worried about this?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Are you running iTunes (with crossfading on)? That, especially when playing over AirTunes, always generate lots of page outs on my iBook even if there's free RAM (I have much less RAM, though ;)).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If the machine sleeps at any time during the day the pageouts are going to go way up.

One of the reasons to restart and then run a usual workflow check while you are at the machine to see if you are getting pageouts.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor

:edit: You also need to click on the 'System Memory' Tab

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 120

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sun Baked said:
If the machine sleeps at any time during the day the pageouts are going to go way up.

I work from home so the machine often has short naps while I do something else. But why would the computer write to disk just because it sleeps. I thought the point of sleep was that it stayed right where it was ready to resume.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I have a feeling some people might get a kick out of this but my Page Ins/Outs are currently at 693440/638789. Is that like horrendous? When I open and close iPhoto (17,000 photos) my computer grinds to a halt. I have 512mb, 1.25 G4 Pb.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
iDM said:
iPhoto (17,000 photos)
Probably your issue right there--iPhoto (particularly older versions) chew up RAM with large numbers of photos, and the slowdown is almost certainly a result of 512MB just not being enough, so a bunch of swapping happens (bet you can hear the HD grinding away).

And yes, pageouts in the hundreds of thousands is generally a sign of major swapping, and hence RAM shortage. Do you perhaps leave a whole lot of apps open all the time, particularly when firing up iPhoto? That certainly won't help when piled on top of the already major needs of iPhoto on 17K pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.