Why do I have Receipts (Server, etc) for packages I did NOT install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacMolly, Feb 10, 2008.

1. MacMolly macrumors newbie

Please be kind to me. This is my first post. :)

I recently wiped my drive clean and did a "lean" and clean OS X 10.4.6 install. I did a custom install and unchecked the optional boxes for printers, additional fonts, X11 etc. When I updated from a downloaded 10.4.11 upgrade or used Software Update for the entire process (I did this 2x), the results were the same.

The last update was the Java 6 pkg. Two minutes later my Library/Receipts folder shows pkg receipts for alot of items I never asked to be installed, including, but not limited to:

1) Every printer manufacturer pkg
    2) BSDSDK, DeveoperTools, DevExamples, DevSDK, ServerAdminTools, ServerEssentials, ServerFatLibrary, ServerInternal, ServerSetup, ServerApplication, X11SDK, X11User
    3) Additional Asian Fonts, Additional Essentials
    4) Common Criteria, Common Access
    5) Microsoft IE Explorer etc.

Are these items automatically installed as part of the upgrade to 10.4.11?
    I am particularly concerned about the developer, server and X11 pkgs and what the heck is Microsoft IE doing as part of my install?

My recollection was that there was no reference to any of this in the install logs. I checked the asl logs and thought I copied the logs for that 2 minute window, but today when I checked that file the time frame was missing.

Am I being paranoid or is there cause for concern? Do other users have these same pkgs in their folders?

I'd appreciate any advice or input.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You're being paranoid. Why does it matter what receipts you have? I'm not sure if this is the reason for those receipts, but did you ever think that those might be there simply to tell the computer that those things weren't installed? Or they were updated by Apple and the update is sloppy and it downloaded those despite you not needing them.
    and did you reinstalling your OS have anything to do with this paranoia?

3. MacMolly thread starter macrumors newbie

Receipts = Install

I won't go into all the reasons I decided to do a clean install, but a few were enough: there were several recurring problems that couldn't be fixed no matter what I or Apple tried to do; last week someone tried to do an online wire of $7,000 out of one of my accounts to the Philippines; my system password was changed, and finally, Apple recommended it.

Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm ok with being called paranoid if there's a legitimate reason for those packages showing up 2x in my receipts folder,...but guessing really doesn't help answer my questions. Let me put it to you this way: "When's the last time you went to a store and the clerk gave you a receipt for something you didn't buy?" Having a pkg receipt for something NOT installed doesn't make any sense to me. Are these packages in YOUR Library/Receipts folder?

The receipt folder (according to Apple) is there to show what WAS installed and to assist Disk Utility in repairing permissions. Inside each "Receipt" is a "Bill of Materials" or BOM which, among other things, the Disk Management Tool uses in setting/repairing (some) permissions. Delete the receipts and you're screwed. The installed files don't disappear, but your ability to manage permissions for that pkg is gone. Add a pkg receipt to the folder and it will be ignored.

One trick I learned to view the files contained in an installed package is to launch that package as if you're going to install it; then go to files and show files. You will see all of the files that were part of that package.

When I try to do this for the "questionable" packages, the installer says it is unable to open those packages. I have no idea if this means the packages were installed but I'm being blocked from opening them or it means they were NOT installed. I'm still clueless as to HOW these packages got there and WHY they are there.

Any help would be appreciated.