Why do I have so much trouble to USB-Ethernet connections?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GanChan, Jun 12, 2017.

1. GanChan, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

GanChan macrumors 6502a

I like using wired Internet connectivity in my apartment because of the extra security -- but man, is it frustrating sometimes. My 2013 Macbook Air requires me to us an ethernet-to-USB adapter which sometimes works flawlessly and on other occasions just refuses to send data (even though it's getting consistent power). It may be running fine one moment and then suddenly stop sending/receiving, at which point, bending or otherwise playing with the Ethernet and/or adapter cord usually gets it going again. For a while. Unless I'm fooling myself and the restoration is just a coincidence.

I've swapped out adapters, I've swapped out Ethernet cables, I've even switched from one USB port to the other. Same behavior.
    Do these things just suck, or is some other link in the chain failing on me? I'm sending the signals through a TRENDnet router that apparently has no trouble feeding data to/from other components.

UPDATE: Getting the same problem when connected to Chromebook, so's definitely not my Mac.

2. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Try Apple's thunderbolt 2 to ethernet adapter?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Sounds like the connection is "going to sleep" on you -- or the Mac is putting it to sleep.

Or else, you could have flaky USB ports in the MacBook Air.

Is not regular wireless security, properly configured, "good enough" for you?
    I sense it is for 99+% of Mac users...

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have used the Plugable USB3->ethernet dongles with great success. They need a driver install. However I prefer the Apple TB->ethernet connector simply because it frees up a USB port that I need, and I am not otherwise using the TB ports. No driver install needed for them, so the ethernet is recognized during an OS install, which is nice..