Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
it won't show up until the second time i put it in -- it will flash up on the desktop briefly, but it looks like it's hanging up when it's searching for track names . . .

just wondering if anybody else has had this issue

i haven't rebooted in a while -- maybe that's it?

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
it won't show up until the second time i put it in -- it will flash up on the desktop briefly, but it looks like it's hanging up when it's searching for track names . . .

just wondering if anybody else has had this issue

i haven't rebooted in a while -- maybe that's it?

I had the same exact problem... Rebooting didn't fix it... honestly, I don't know what does. I was having a different problem, too, and ended up formatting my iMac from scratch. Needless to say, it's fine now :/

yotoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
i really don't want to reformat -- i just noticed it recently, so it might have something to do with 10.5.3 . . .

it's a little annoying, but everything works properly with DVDs -- it's just CDs

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
How do these CDs behave when they're installed into a PC?

Could they be the new copy protected crap that load applications?

If you pop it in a Windows machine, and it brings up a special program to play the band's videos or something, that could be the thing that's confusing your Mac.

Do you have VMWare or Parallels or something similar installed? That can screw with how a disc is identified since it has to make the CD available to both OS X *and* your virtualized Windows environment.

Just thinking out loud here...

Obama

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
^^ I have the same problem as most in this thread and the link posted above. Once I restart my imac, it 'solves' the problem.
I hope theres a fix on the way.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
This happened on my brand new iMac, with the very first disc I popped in. It's happened about 20 times so far. :mad:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
It's also happened to me, but only when I've inserted discs that I've written on another computer. "Normal" discs (CDs and DVDs I've bought from a store) work fine the first time they're inserted into the drive.

rhizopod

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
I have the same issue on iTunes for Windows. I have to insert a CD twice for it to be recognized. iTunes on my Mac (mini) seems fine.

On the Mac, I do have the problem where I have to quit iTunes twice for it to actually quit. Don't seem to have that on Windows, though.

Update - Try this (If you're running Windows, via Parallels, VMWare, or otherwise):

it is safest to disable CD autoplay in XP using either local group policy or, for an enterprise, an Active Directory group policy. The local group policy editor method:

* Click Start
* Click Run
* Enter GPEDIT.MSC
Group Policy mmc will popup. On left panel:
* Double-click Computer Configuration to open submenu
* Double-click Administrative Templates to open submenu
* Double-click System to open submenu
* Double-click Turn autoplay off option which will be near the bottom of the list in the right panel.

The default is the Not configured . Set it to Enabled.

Or this registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom]
"Autorun"="0"

GoaTrancer

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
I have the same problem... WTF???!!!! Really annoying! Restarting iTunes works, but is a pain. There shouldnt be any problem with something as simple as reading a CD!! Must be something 10.5.3 related because it just started happening recently. And it happens with ALL my CDs old and new.

martinielsen

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Hi everyone.

Sad to see that this is an old thread and this hasn't been fixed yet.

I have the exact same problem, seems like an random error to me but it happens often.

OS 10.6.4 and iTunes 10.0 (67)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.