Why do I have to keep re-inputting activation codes on new iMac?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Pepperpot, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Pepperpot macrumors newbie

I have been using Yosemite on a new iMac after my old 2007 model died on me. I managed to restore some software from a backup using migration assistant and had to reactivate using the codes supplied to me at the point of purchase. The software works fine on the new machine but I am regularly prompted to re-input the activation codes when starting the software up. This is an intermittent problem but it happens frequently and is really aggravating.

I can't understand why the new imac is not storing or remembering the activation codes. The software affected so far is Office for Mac 2011 and Guitar Pro 6 but I expect there will be more. If anyone can help me I will be so grateful. Thanks

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try doing a clean install of the software. That could solve your problem. Having to re-enter codes all the time sounds like your migration for those apps was corrupt or incomplete in some way.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Also try repairing permissions; it seems that maybe the "key file" isn't writable.

4. Pepperpot thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try both. Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have to say that migrating to the new machine has been far from headache free so hopefully I'll start to make some headway if this works.