Why do I have to manually add new music to iTunes database?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Can I have iTunes automatically add new music that I add to my music folder without having to go to:

FILE>
    Add to Library

How come iTunes won't monitor the music location folder where I store the music. I keep all of my music in the default iTunes music folder.

This could very well be the way iTunes works but I'm new to macs and comparing it to previous programs I've used like Media Player, it would consistently monitor the music folder you chose and update or add files when it sees them changed or whatever.

2. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I have it set so that anytime I download a track, it automatically opens in iTunes, and gets placed in the iTunes Music folder.

If if doesn't do that, you can just drag the file into iTunes, and it will automatically put it in your iTunes Music folder.

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

When I download new music I like to make some changes to the actual file before it goes into the iTunes music folder. I like to run the album thru Media Rage and have the files cleaned up like renaming the file to:

track #-track title

And a few other things of personal choice.

Let's say I download a new album and then I put it thru Media Rage. Now that everything is renamed correctly I usually cut & paste the new album into the correct folder where iTunes music is located. I then go to FILE and then ADD TO LIBRARY and point to the new album I just added. Can I just drag the album into the iTunes window and it will add it automatically? How will it store that new album? I'm hesitant to do it this way because I'm not sure that dragging the new album will file it away like I would.

Thanks for your help.

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

There's a new folder in iTunes 9 called "Automatically Add to iTunes". It's located under Music->iTunes->iTunes Music->Automatically Add to iTunes.

Anything that you drop in this folder will be added to iTunes without any further intervention the next time that you open iTunes. I just put a shortcut to it in Finder's "Places" menu, and drag any new files that I don't rip directly into iTunes to this folder.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I see that folder BURIED in all of my music folders.

So I guess I need to take all of my music and drag them into that folder and from there on out every time I add new music it will automatically add them.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh *****.

The Automatically add to iTunes is not where you want to store your music. I just moved some of my music there and since it was already in itunes it made doubles of all of those songs. ****! Now I've got to go and manually delete all of those duplicates.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I got it straightened out.

One more question, how do you put a shortcut in the Finder's "Places" menu?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just drag the folder into the sidebar.

9. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816