Why do I have to pick a carrier when purchasing the phone through Apple.com?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xman1102, Sep 13, 2015.

1. xman1102 macrumors member

I thought buying the phone through Apple and their financing program meant I could take the phone to whichever carrier I like.

That being the case, why must I choose a carrier during the preorder process?

I'm confused...

2. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you mean the iPhone upgrade program? They are technically unlocked yes, but if you are going to use the Apple upgrade program they want you to select one of the four. However, if you have placed a reservation for pick up already, you don't have to go that route and you can just purchase the device outright at the time of pick up and will be unlocked.

4. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just still undecided on which carrier for me and I wanted to preorder. I didn't think I would have to choose right now.

I currently use the monthly service through AT&T, but I'm not sure if I want to continue through them.

I just want to preorder the phones so I can get in line (not physically, just metaphorically), like everyone else in waiting for them. I just didn't want to have to choose my carrier today, either.

5. Vampire5003, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Just my $0.02, but chose the Verizon model. It will support all the bands, but with the added bonus that you can take it to Verizon if you ever want to. If you chose AT&T, and you wanted to switch to Verizon, VZW is not going to add the phone's IMEI to their system.

On the other hand, buy the Verizon model, and use it on whoever, AT&T and T-Mobile won't care, as they are GSM.

This is less relevant since you will be handing Apple your iPhone every year to upgrade, but this was a huge help to people looking to resell their phones. :).

6. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

7. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Oh wow. That's crazy, the iPhone 5/5S and 6 all we're identical across carriers expect Verizon being Verizon (not allowing non VZW version IMEI in system even though internals are the same). I am surprised all iPhone 6S/6S+ don't have all bands. Hmm. I guess the OP should pick AT&T if that's his carrier, it's not like he will be reselling the phone anyway, so he doesn't really need the additional resale value the VZW model would give.

;)

8. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

Since I have no Apple store within 2 hours, I guess I won't be making a reservation

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Verizon has now changed their policy on this: http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/25/activate-non-verizon-devices-on-verizon/
    The phone does need to have CDMA capability, however.

10. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

so its just a sprint thing now. inthink resale value will prob impact it by 10-20 bucks at most in a 6 months to a year when you are trying to sell. so basically choose the one for the carrier you plan on using in the short term not future resale value

11. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

Now I'm really confused

So, i'm wanting to keep my AT&T numbers, but I want to buy these phones through Apple, how would I do this?

If I try to purchase online, I have to choose either transferring my number or new service. I want to keep my numbers and probably will go with AT&T. However, I want an unlocked phone in case I decided later on a different carrier. If I go to an AT&T store, I have to purchase an AT&T phone, which I don't want.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You need to purchase directly from Apple using their installment plan. Those phones are unlocked and can be used on any carrier. Then you can work with your carrier to transfer your numbers to whatever other carrier you want. It's not too difficult. Just a PITA. Lol.

Unlocked full prices phones are not available at launch.

13. chrfr macrumors 603

Sprint is obligated by law to unlock their phones outside of contract, so those should work too at this point.

14. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

But if I choose installment, I have to pick a carrier. If I pick Verizon, I have to choose if I want to port my number. If I choose AT&T it asks if it's a new account or porting number.

I don't see an option like you mentioned. Every option leads me to having to port my number. I don't want to decide that now. I just want the phones preordered today and I'll choose my carrier later. That isn't an option unless I want to travel 3 hours to a Apple store, which I don't.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Buy the T-Mobile variant. They will not make you enter carrier info. You have to buy it outright though. The apple upgrade program will not work with prepaid. You have to pick a carrier, new or current, to make the monthly payments.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

That is correct. Unlocked iPhones using Apple's installment agreement are available in store only. You have to make a reservation and show up. There are no other options for your scenario unless you want to wait another 3-4 weeks for Apple's unlocked phones to show up for ordering.

Online ordering REQUIRES a carrier.

17. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

If I want to wait 3-4 weeks, which I can... how is that different than the situation right now?

18. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

what about the no cdma on a1633

so i guess buy the vz/sprint/tmob one but then if you want to have lte band 30( which maybe really not a big deal) the. you are sol withthat phone. anyway sounds like any phone is good. just get any and enjoy.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Is your goal to do the apple upgrade program without picking a carrier? If so, it will not make a difference if you wait.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You can then buy the unlocked phone WITHOUT picking a carrier.

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

He doesn't want to drive to the store - it's 3 hours away.

22. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

If this is an option, I will wait 3-4 weeks.

And this will be an option online?

23. duaneu macrumors 6502a

1633/1634 do have CDMA:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/

24. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

The first phone I pre ordered was the t-mobile version since I wanted an unlocked version and I was paying it in full until I realized it was missing LTE band 30. Cancelled that order and ordered the AT&T version. LTE band 30 will make a huge difference and I don't want to miss out on it.

25. chrfr macrumors 603

The spec page lists the A1633 and A1634 as having CDMA. The design of the page is somewhat unclear but the A1634 and A1633 support the same bands. The A1633 is not LTE only.
    Edit: apparently an earlier version of the page didn't show CDMA support for the A1633/1634, but it's listed there now.