Why do I have to set up an old iPad as new?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Broph, May 7, 2012.

1. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

Hi,

I have a friend here over from the USA, and she has an iPad 2 with thousands of photos / videos etc....

Went for a helicopter ride yesterday, I took some videos with my iPhone 4s.

She wanted those videos on her iPad.... This is where I had to start thinking....

I plug her iPad in to my computer and it comes up with 'set up iPad' I'm thinking wtf... why do I have to do this? She's already set it up on a computer back in the USA....

So, I set up as new iPad and unticked for it to automatically sync apps, photos etc...

I even had to NAME the iPad (?)..... But I managed to sort it out by importing the videos from my iPhone 4s using 'image capture', then I drag and dropped them over the iPad in iTunes.....

Why did it come up asking to set it up? Because I plugged it in on a different computer?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. And when your friend goes home and plugs in to her computer, she might have to go through the same process again, because now her iPad is "paired" with your computer. Thing is, iPads can only be synced with one computer at a time, so you shouldn't have tried to sync her iPad to your computer.

If those videos were short enough, you could have emailed them to her. If they are too long, upload them to Dropbox or some similar file storage/sharing service, then download them from there. And then there are apps that allow file transfer between two iDevices, though I haven't tried them myself. Point is, there are a number of ways to send files from one iDevice to another, but syncing through iTunes is not it.

3. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Yeah the iPad is paired to whatever computer you used. It's not meant to be a transfer device. As the guy above me said, Dropbox/email/other service would've been much easier

4. Broph thread starter macrumors 6502

Broph

Yeah I was in a rush and knew there wasn't enough time to upload the videos to dropbox etc, and re-download them..... so in a nutshell, there's no way to use the combination of a cable / computer etc? ...

5. nickn macrumors 6502

Here is a kind of poor way of doing what you want, but it will work. Download Atomic Web Browser Lite on the device. After it is installed, go back on itunes, click on the device name on the left hand side, and then apps on the top. Next, scroll down the page until you reach the file sharing portion. Click on Atomic Web on the left side, and drag the videos into the box under where it should say Atomic Web Documents. The videos are now on the device, and when she gets home, she can drag the files off the page and on to her computer.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Maybe if you use a third party video app or fie storage / management app like GoodReader, and drag the video file into the app tab? I don't have an iDevice that's not paired with my computer to test it out. I know GoodReader and other video apps allow file transfer to / from computer through wifi, but to use cable, you have to go through iTunes.

Doesn't have to be atomic, as I said above, GoodReader, many video apps, FileBrowser, etc, will all work as well.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

I think you can transfer from iPhone to iPad using iPhotos if you use a Mac. iPhoto on the Mac lets you import from and export to idevices. Not sure on a PC.

8. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Get the photosync app from the AppStore. It lets you transfer photo and video between iOS devices and also to/from pc and mac.

Think it was a couple of dollars when I bought it and it works really well. The photos and videos can be saved into the camera roll on the device so they will be usable in other apps too.