iPhone XS Max Why do I have to wait for a replacement max iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darksoul78644, Sep 27, 2018.

1. darksoul78644 macrumors regular

darksoul78644

ok went to get my new 512 gig iPhone get looked at it failed the diagnostics test for top speaker and microphone issues. Looked at the apple page today and they have stock of my exact phone. Why can they give me one of those why do I have to wait for a replacement phone in a brown box. Jus venting. Asked apple rep how long it would take to get it and he said he wasn’t sure cuz it was a new phone. He said maybe a week. Sorry jus venting.

2. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

You're going through the Genius Bar? They normally go brown box method. If you use your receipt for a 14 day return, then different story with unboxing a BNIB device.

3. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

Yes went thru Genius Bar by setting appointment up. I ordered their Verizon. Did not buy directly thru apple store. The brown box replacements are new tho right???

4. cmaier macrumors G5

In the past I’ve had them give me a new phone out of stock if they had no brown box replacements. Maybe just be more polite?

5. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Weird. Normally, they should have replacement devices ready to go. At this point, since there hasn't been much time for refurbs to be built, a replacement device would be new-- just not in retail boxing or with new accessories.

However, if I were you, I'd just return your detective unit and repurchase a brand new one. Especially if they're showing the model you have/want in stock. That's what I did. My unit was having screen issues, so I just returned it and immediately repurchased a new one (I also purchased a different color, since I ended up not liking the silver as much as I thought I would).

EDIT: Ah, just saw your point about having purchased from Verizon. Yes, if you purchased from Verizon, your options are to return it to Verizon and repurchase or accept a replacement device from Apple. If you didn't purchase it directly from Apple, you can't very well return it to Apple for a full exchange.

6. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

In the essence of time, return the device to Verizon. Then order directly from Apple, for in shop pick up.

If anything you’d be out of pocket $45 (return fee) and the time needed to complete both processes.

7. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

Ummm i was polite lol. Where did I say I wasn’t.

8. cmaier macrumors G5

Just assuming since they’ve done it for me and not for you, and everyone knows I am super polite.

9. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

Eghhh they better not give me a refurb that I paid 1600 for and it being a7 day ol phone
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    Oh lord lol. Well the guy I talked wasn’t that helpful. He thought the max only had one speaker and that maybe both speakers didn’t work on certain YouTube vids or music

10. cmaier macrumors G5

What difference does it make?

11. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

I’ll jus wait the week which will b Wednesday and if nothing happens by than I’ll take further action. I jus don’t see why I have to wait. Will be getting apple care plus theft when I get replacement tho
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    Cuz I didn’t pay 1600 for a refurbished phone

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

13. kid84 macrumors member

Everything still under 14 days return and exchange . Why did you dont wrap up and just return it !

And they buy another one !! Apple is fast with refund , last time I return my X, they just swap my card and money show to my balance right away

14. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

15. cmaier macrumors G5

Refurbished is better. At least Apple has actually looked at them.

16. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

That's a doozy of a self reflection. :apple:

17. cmaier macrumors G5

I’m very self-aware.

18. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

Eghhh u have a point

19. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Oh, then I think Apple would've sent you back to Verizon. Brown boxes will be new replacements in all likelihood since the device is almost a week old. Just be careful Verizon could transfer over any promos you may have with the XS Max purchase if you went with a BOGO deal.

20. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors regular

darksoul78644

nah I have went thru apple for my defective iPad that i got thru Verizon. Verizon told me I could go thru them or thru apple since I was still within my one year warranty.

21. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

Why not just return the phone to Verizon and have them send you a new one if it is within 14 days? Verizon will send you a new device if you tell them it’s defective. I did this last year with my X.

They mailed out a new phone to me and then I just mailed the defective phone back. I did have to pay the taxes on the new phone, though.

22. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Wait, that explains why they can't just give you New retail box, because you didn't buy your phone directly through Apple. You purchased it from Verizon. In that case you'll need to either return it through Verizon and get a new one from Apple or just deal with the replacement unit.

23. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Not sure how Verizon handles warranties, but I would trust Apple more because of their customer service.