Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Seriously now it's up to like 3 times a day my phone will start ringing and it's my contact who's calling. Picking it up does nothing I usually ignore it. This happened a few times a while back but now it's happening a few times a day.

A bit annoying but I can deal with it just curious as to why it's happening ???

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Seriously now it's up to like 3 times a day my phone will start ringing and it's my contact who's calling. Picking it up does nothing I usually ignore it. This happened a few times a while back but now it's happening a few times a day.

A bit annoying but I can deal with it just curious as to why it's happening ???
I've gotten that a few times from scam callers trying to tell me that I can lower my interest rate. Unfortunately as long as the phone companies still make it possible for scammers to fake Caller ID, there's nothing you can do about it.
Note that unlike with other phone numbers, blocking your own number in iOS breaks iMessage and all sorts of things, so don't try that.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/getting-calls-your-own-number

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If that's the case then you'd think it would stop eventually. Until it does you could set add a silent ringtone and turn off vibration for your own contact.

Some phone companies have selective call forwarding but I don't know of any cell providers that do. On our home phone I forward new annoying numbers to a weather line in Alaska.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Just happened again. Basically my phone will ring I look down and it's my contact calling in. I'm up to at least 3 or 4 times a day now

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Just happened again. Basically my phone will ring I look down and it's my contact calling in. I'm up to at least 3 or 4 times a day now

you should call your carrier and troubleshoot it from there. i haven't seen my cell phones doing this, since ericcson / nokia days.

there is a possibility that you have another a phone number added to your own contact, so when that number calls, you showed up in the screen.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
you should call your carrier and troubleshoot it from there. i haven't seen my cell phones doing this, since ericcson / nokia days.

there is a possibility that you have another a phone number added to your own contact, so when that number calls, you showed up in the screen.
Thanks for the reply. I checked my contact and my number is the only one. Guess I will give AT&T a call

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And you are not using any other service like Google Voice or anything like that?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's a scammer calling you and spoofing their caller ID.
My friend gets the same thing lately.
Just answer it and you'll see.
They'll ask you for your name, address, dob, social security number etc...
Do not give them any of your info.

iapplelove

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It's a scammer calling you and spoofing their caller ID.
My friend gets the same thing lately.
Just answer it and you'll see.
They'll ask you for your name, address, dob, social security number etc...
Do not give them any of your info.

Thanks man! And that's what I'm thinking. I have received some odd calls over this last year and I assume this is yet another one of them. Only once did I answer and it was dead air so I hung up. Not going to answer ever again and hope it just goes away.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.