Why do I keep hearing OIS is only for photos? This video obviously shows otherwise.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by circa7, Sep 24, 2014.

1. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

2. circa7 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand, but watch the above video. The 6+ is obviously much smoother than the 6.

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

What's your point though? It's not like someone is going to get the 6+ just because the camera is better

4. circa7 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Because I'm considering it over the regular only for that reason. I feel jipped that if I want the OIS, I have to get the bigger phone, even if I want the smaller form factor.

5. julesgold macrumors regular

That was actually one of my reasons in choosing 6+ over 6.

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

does seem better with OIS, but i find the iPhone 6 and cinematic video stabilization and the digital stabilization in the 6 to do a pretty fantastic job if you keep the device pretty still while your recording , its actually very smooth and stabilized the video if you keep the device still pretty well

honestly it feels like even the 6 has OIS from how well Cinematic video stabilization/digital video stabilization works on the 6, its very smooth, and even more smooth if you are recording in 1080p60fps

7. Trager macrumors member

That's actually the primary reason I went for the 6+, despite its ridiculous size and horrible 1-handed use limitations.

8. ggpike macrumors member

That's one of the main reasons I went with the 6 plus. We're having a baby in February and I wanted the best camera on a phone out there. Not to mention using the iphone camera a lot for our business.

9. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting this. Some remorseful iPhone six owners really had me thinking otherwise.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

You might want to ask around before coming to that conclusion...

11. Chorx macrumors regular

Three people in my friend group held out for a 6+ for the camera. They don't like the size, but OIS is important enough to them to order the larger phone.

12. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

That's so freaking stupid.

----------

Serious? That's such a stupid reason. I have thousands in camera equipment and ois is no big deal at this focal length. Good light is. It's better to use flash then try to get a pic in low light.

----------

That's dumb. Nothing's going to change the fact the pics from this camera will not be very good anyway just get a real camera if images are important to you

13. erzhik macrumors 6502

6+ uses OPTICAL stabilization in photo and video because stabilization is built into the lens (therefore protruding lens). All phones with OIS have smoother videos than those without.

14. Chorx macrumors regular

I'm not going to be the person to judge how people spend their money. I bought I 6+ because the extra little bit of battery is important to me. I'm sure people think that's stupid. I don't and I'm the one buying the device so really that's all that matters. :cool:

15. Trager macrumors member

As someone with "thousands in camera equipment", you might have heard the phrase: The best camera is the one that's with you. I rarely carry my dSLR when I'm out socially, and bars tend to be dimly lit. The couple of extra stops that OIS gives you does make a difference.

Also, as an acrobatics and martial art instructor, I take a lot of handheld video. Yes, it would be great if I invested in a camera specifically for that, but students react differently in front of a camera, and my iPhone lets me shoot surreptitiously. It's true, dedicated cameras yield much better image quality, but I'm mostly shooting for online sharing, not print, so I don't mind the limitations of a phone sensor.

16. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

ugh such excuses it's just you being too lazy to bring a real camera

17. jettrue, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

You sound like a pouty teenager.."ugh. that's so dumb, so stoopid". How can anyone judge another person's motivations so callously? It's like when someone says they like Indian food and another person says "ugh, Indian food is sooo gross! How can you eat that?!". It just makes no sense. it's called subjectivity. Learn it.

18. deviant macrumors 65816

It's not extra little bit. There's A LOT of extra battery, and yes, i went for 6+ for the exact same reason. And... because i like watching NBA .. so a bigger screen can't hurt. But yeah.. Battery. FINALLY.

19. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

wrong. iphone plus has no digital image stabilization, it has actual OIS.

20. KenAFSPC, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus use the same digital image stabilization, called "cinematic video stabilization," for video recording.

Source:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/