Why do I need a provider for Wifi Calling/Texting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncrispi, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ncrispi macrumors member

I am a little confused with the T-Mobile and AT&T rollout of Wifi-services such as calling and texting.... Since it is over wifi and not a carrier .... why do I need a sims card or provider such as AT&T to use this feature..?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You don't need a SIM card. Plenty of apps on the App Store do this. The only difference with Tmobile is that it works automatically over wifi without needing an app.

3. ncrispi thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, so im saying... Why do I need Tmobile in the first place to get Wifi Calling?...

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Because you are still using their network and they make you pay for it.

5. ncrispi thread starter macrumors member

How am I using their network if I am on wifi though....? is it not the same as Imessage where it sends it over wifi and you do not need a carrier for that...

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It's using wifi to transmit your call to the network where it goes to the other phone. Not all phones support it.

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It still takes your plan minutes so that's why, you don't get unlimited calling, you only get better quality and signal

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So how would you send an iMessage to someone who isn't using iOS?

9. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

The call is placed through your normal cell phone line. If you don't need this requirement, then yeah Skype or other VOIP services would also work.

10. Azzin macrumors 68040

You can't.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That was the whole point.

12. ronm99 macrumors 6502

To receive a WiFi phone call, you obviously need network support. The call is to your phone number, and your cellular provider needs to direct it to your phone.

To send a WiFi phone call to someone else, it technically doesn't need to go through your provider. However, someone has to provide the infrastructure to connect your phone to the person you are calling. The way the WiFi calling protocol is set up, this is your carrier.

The whole point of the WiFi calling protocol is to extend the range of your phone, not to replace it.

If you don't want to use your carrier, there are a host of VOIP solutions out there that don't need SIM cards, etc. You can even call with your iPad. You just won't be sending and receiving calls with your normal cell phone #.